Good technique oriented (i.e. speed picking, legato etc.) books?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    viz said:
    Consider getting some lessons from Greg himself, even if it's just a couple of tasters to start with - he's so generous with his time and tuition, he'll get you off on such a good footing. There's so much to his playing besides technique per se, around the music itself, and he's able to hone in on anything you want to focus in on, be it a technique or a turn of phrase or a whole songwriting approach. I have sessions once a fortnight and it's just really brilliant. Not that I do justice to them, I'm sure, but I do my best!
    That's quite a thought - the idea of actually having lessons from someone like Greg. And why not I suppose, I certainly can't blame you, that must be pretty amazing to do. And amazing to think that it's possible to do that these days. I'd find it pretty daunting in a way, if I'm honest - perhaps I'd be a bit star-struck or something. I am planning to save money like mad next year, in order to fund a custom guitar build, but I'll keep that thought in mind all the same, cheers @viz.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Worst tab I saw was for Extreme's second album, ugh! 
    Still, good ear training thrown in too ;)
    I'm terrible with tab - I hardly ever use it, and haven't had a lot of practice as a result. I'm not bad with written music though. I guess most album transcription books have both these days? It would be good if I could find an album book that had some fast alternate picking stuff, and also maybe some more legato stuff. And much as I quite like to listen to Yngwie, I'd maybe prefer something a bit fusion-y to work on. Eric Johnson maybe - I love his music, although he's maybe not always as focused on the speed side of things as I would want for learning purposes. If there's a Greg Howe transcription book out there, that could be a good one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Greg has free tabs on his site (IIRC)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Greg has free tabs on his site (IIRC)
    Cheers - I'll go and have a look @thomasross20 :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom