Mesa Mark v 25 + Recto Verb 25

What's Hot
Si_Si_ Frets: 384
My hunt for a small amp continues, anyone tried these 2 amps? how are they? the Mark V 25 would be my preference but it's head only and I would prefer a portable combo. The mark V 35 is too expensive so that's not an option.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I'm a big fan of the MkV:25 and have only tried the Recto very briefly. The 25 is more my sort of thing. It is loud though!

The Koch Studiotone XL was the smallest combo I've owned that punched well above its weight.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Any other users out there?
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    edited December 2015
    I think they are amazing amps but like any Mesa, they drive you a bit crazy if you find a good setting then come back to it and it'll sound totally different. Lots of tweaking needed BUT there are plenty of great sounds on tap. I was looking at this, the Bogner Atma and the Pink Taco and in the end went with the Taco for ease of use and sound, although there was nothing in the sound part. 

I know you've had the Taco so maybe this will be the right place to try next. It certainly has the most headroom of the three. 
    I'd love to get another Taco (And almost managed to buy mine back), but getting hold of stuff in Aus is a nightmare.. Even getting a price for an Atma has taken me a week and I've still not got one.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Si_ said:
    I'd love to get another Taco (And almost managed to buy mine back), but getting hold of stuff in Aus is a nightmare.. Even getting a price for an Atma has taken me a week and I've still not got one.

well I have had a good play with all three and here's how I would rank them - 

Overall sound - Taco, Mark V 25, Atma 
    Ease of Use - Taco, Atma, Mark V 25 
    Most Versatile - Mark V 25, Atma, Taco
    Best for home - Atma, Taco, Mark V 25
    Most clean Headroom - Mark V 25, Atma, Taco 

I thought the dirty on the Taco was irresistible and ultimately that's what won for me, but I do also have a Bogner as my 'big' amp so some of the added versatility wasn't needed. All three sounded great though and the Bogner is best for all situations as it can go down to 1w although I did feel that the differences between it's 60's 70's and 80's sounds weren't that great and it could have done with being a bit more commanding with it's crunch. The Mark has loads of tones and if you do get on with the Mesa sound then it really is a great amp. I wouldn't rule one out in the future. I'd love to run it and the Taco in a 2 amp set up! 

Thanks for the info.

My "Big Rig" is a Friedman BE100 but since moving to an apartment it's not really useable (or easy to carry up and down the 2 flights of stairs). I've heard a few people say the ATMA is a bit sterile.

I think I'll go for a Mk v 25 and a 1x12 cab.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24725
    The problem with the Mini Rec based amps is that they don't sound like a proper Recto at all.

edited December 2015
    Picked up a Mark V 25 this morning, not tried it yet but have high hopes.. need a decent but light 1x12 to go with it now.. Got it for a good price so couldn't resist.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Si_ said:
    Picked up a Mark V 25 this morning, not tried it yet but have high hopes.. need a decent but light 1x12 to go with it now.. Got it for a good price so couldn't resist.
    Very nice! I use mine with a Mesa Widebody open back 1x12 which I turn on its end to make a sort of mini stack. There's lots of midrange happening in that rig though, so I also enjoy playing the MkV:25 through the 2x12 Creamback loaded Zilla cab I keep in my studio - sounds very different to the Widebody.
    Just playing it through headphones at the moment but liking it so far.. love the channel 1 crunch setting, shame that's not on channel 2.  Still finding my way with channel 2. I think my plan will be to use channel 1 as my main sound, with channel 2 as lead, just need to get a good sound out of 2.

Is it just me or do you really need the EQ engaged to get that full sound, seems very thin without it. 

I know setting up a Boogie is a bit of an art so any tips on Channel 2 are appreciated.

• BGGBGG Frets: 694
    Si_ said:
    Just playing it through headphones at the moment but liking it so far.. love the channel 1 crunch setting, shame that's not on channel 2.  Still finding my way with channel 2. I think my plan will be to use channel 1 as my main sound, with channel 2 as lead, just need to get a good sound out of 2.

Is it just me or do you really need the EQ engaged to get that full sound, seems very thin without it. 

I know setting up a Boogie is a bit of an art so any tips on Channel 2 are appreciated.

Nick Jennison is ya man, he really knows his Boogies ;)
    When he bought my MKIV he dialled it in with having played a note, sounded mega when he did ... I was thinking I shouldn't be selling this LOL
    #thebatesmotelband
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9630
    edited December 2015
    Im pretty new to Mesa mate, and I dont go for heavy rock sounds, so my advice may not apply...

Ive played a few MK V heads and combos lately, and the Express Plus 25 (which i loved in head format). The MK v25 is a ridiculously small and stunnung versatile head. A bit complex for me personally, but im sure that there is every sound that you could want in there !

With regards to ch 1 and ch 2, i found that it was interesting to 'swop' them around; that is, cleans from ch 2 and od from ch 1... Try it @si_ and let us know how you get on...

I thought that the chimey Vox like clipped cleans on the Express Plus were stunning; I could have made my signature sound and voice from them alone.

Ultimately, the MK V was too complex for my simple Black Country mind ! I went for the King Snake; stupid expensive but without doubt, one of the best amps ive ever tried.

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/P1040226.jpg

That's a good idea, might try that :)

If you're playing through headphones it will sound thin without the EQ engaged, especially if going through the Cabclone. It sounded huge when I played it through a 2x12 or a wideboy 1x12
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 221
    Avoid the mini rec 1x12. Was feckin awful.
    Don't get the accompanying 1x12 though, I've always found that cab will make the sound thin regardless, which is strange considering it was made for the amp.
    AndyJP said:
    Avoid the mini rec 1x12. Was feckin awful.
    Agreed.. had one a few years ago and never liked it..

Looking forward to Thursday when I can run the Mark V through a proper 4x12 at band levels. 
    First session last night with my Mrk V:25 and it went well, still needs a little tweak but sounded good.. Totally overpowered the other guitarists DSL401 (Although I was through a 4x12). I need a decent 1x12 to go with it now.