Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The first guitar you really bonded with?

What's Hot

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10381
    Definitely my Charvel San Dimas.I keep most of my guitars in the back room on wall hangers and others in cases in the bedroom and reserve one place in the lounge for whichever guitar takes my fancy that week.I try to rotate them but I always come back to the Charvel,to a point where I could (or should) sell most of my collection.It all comes down to that neck I suspect,and it just seems to 'fit' me better than any other guitar I own.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    My first real quality guitar was a mint condition '63 Gretsch Tennessean I bought in '69. It cost me £130 which was a fair bit in those days but nowhere near what it'd fetch these days.
    Like an idiot, I sold it to get a Ducati. Mind you Ducatis are nice but don't hold their value as well as vintage guitars and cost more to maintain.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2486
    My old 2001 MIM strat, bought new with the money earned from my first summer job.

I keep wanting to get a new body for it but my sentimentality won't let me.
    It really needs a refret too.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72928
    My '84 Aria RS Standard - the first electric guitar I owned.

Sadly I bonded with it so well that I thought I would never sell it and I just had to go about making it 'more perfect', and over about five or six years I modded it to beyond the point of no return, and eventually gave the remains away. Luckily, after many years of looking - it turns out to be a very rare guitar, even if not very valuable - I found another one so identical to the original I sometimes almost forget it's a different guitar. This one is staying original - apart from the pickups, which were crap.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    My '93 SRV Strat. Which I don't have anymore (cock).

These days I'm firmly bonded to my Esquire, my DC TVY Jnr blatant copy, and lately (although yet to gig it) my Charvel San Dimas.

I'm a slag. :)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3953
    '69 thinline Tele. I need another one at some point.
    @jd0272 out of interest,how are you getting along with the Charvel? I know you had concerns about the neck thickness before you received it.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7907
    1983 US Fender Telecaster - I vowed never to sell it and owned for about three years :(
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    breakstuff;879130" said:
    @jd0272 out of interest,how are you getting along with the Charvel? I know you had concerns about the neck thickness before you received it.
    It's properly lush mate. Sorry about the brief toe dip into Chav.

The neck on this Jap model is a decent handful so suits me just fine. Unfinished so I'm 'whizzy-er" than I ever thought I was.

Has the Duncan's, the neck '59 in the guitar is pure Kossoff. Rattled off Free's Mover on first plug in and Jesus, soloing on the neck unit, magic matey.

£500? Bargain as far as I'm concerned.

:)

And can be had for less, though the spec I bought seems canny scarce- white, direct mount pick ups, chrome hardware.
    edited December 2015
    Glad you're liking it mate.They really are great guitars.You're right about a bargain,even at £600 new they where still a steal.

I've chucked a push/push pot in mine to coil split it and it's so versatile now.The neck pickup sounds brilliant split.Some nice Hendrix tones there.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16906
    My 96 epi LP.

I think it was my forth guitar and the only one from my teenage years I still have. It wasn't great at first, needed a proper set-up but I was not happy with the one I paid for so I started learning to do it myself.

I loaned it out about 10 years ago but have had it back for the last 2

It still has its original paint but all the parts have been changed along the way. Its a great guitar, still doesn't feel like a Gibson but I wouldn't be without it
    breakstuff;879199" said:
    Glad you're liking it mate.They really are great guitars.You're right about a bargain,even at £600 new they where still a steal.

I've chucked a push/push pot in mine to coil split it and it's so versatile now.The neck pickup sounds brilliant split.Some nice Hendrix tones there.
    Aye that's an option I might follow. Gotta SD PG sitting idle, and a set of ShedZepplin pickups in a broke Les Paul. What's not to like?
  • My Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus, after getting this, I don't feel like playing my acoustic anymore, I only play that when my Epi is in some weird tuning and I can't be bothered to change it.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    axisus;57016" said:
    I had a bunch of secondhand guitars from junk shops in the early days, Kay, Hondo, unbranded, Aria Pro II etc. After that I moved through cheap guitar shop stuff - Westone, Marlin, Fenix etc.
    I have to take issue with Westone, Fenix and Aria being classed in the same category as Kay and Marlin! Westone, Fenix and particularly Aria Pro II were excellent guitars.

My first bonding guitar was a Sumbro Strat. It had a super low action, a maple neck and a light wood grain body.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2648
    edited December 2015
    The first guitar I bonded with was my Charvel Model 1 which I bought in 1988. Before that I had a Kay strat type copy and a Marlin Sidewinder. I paid £249 for the Charvel new from Bootleg Music in Epsom. I remember the neck feeling amazing and the single humbucker was creamy smooth. At the time I was using a Marshall Lead 12 reverb and the two of them together sounded awesome, well they did to my 19 year old ears anyway. I traded in the Charvel for a MIJ Fender Strat in 1992, a decision I regretted as I just could not get on with the Strat even though I tried. The Charvel had been sold when I tried to return the Strat to the shop. Gutted.

It looked just like this one :(

• edenfield99edenfield99 Frets: 349
    edited December 2015
    strtdv;878975" said:
    My old 2001 MIM strat, bought new with the money earned from my first summer job.

I keep wanting to get a new body for it but my sentimentality won't let me.
    It really needs a refret too.
    Strangely I could have typed this exact post. Only mine is an early 90s one. 19 years old and home from uni with cash from a summer job. Id been using a Hondo Les Paul then someone told me my next door but one neighbour was selling a strat. He opened the case and there it was, Olympic white against the blue lining of the case and I've never looked back. It's had pickup changes, the wiring redone and a new trem block and its outlasted Gibsons, Fender USA teles...nearly every other guitar I ever owned (the Hondo ended up in the dustbin)

.....and I've been debating getting a new body for it only this week but decided against it.
  • JadedJaded Frets: 127
    Probably a 69RI Mustang, the sonic blue ones with the tort pickguard. I'd had a few guitar up to that point; a Cimar Strat copy, a Washburn somethingorother and an Epiphone G400 custom (the white one with 3 pickups), never really cared too much about any of them but the Mustang was something else. 

The shorter scale made chording easier. The single coils had the twang I was looking for. Actually had a vibrato system (with an arm)! ...and it looked cool. 

Eventually found I preferred Jaguars and traded it for a sonic blue Jag-Stang to go with my red one and then eventually sold those to buy a Cobain Jaguar... which I sold. I should have stopped at the Jag-Stang's really!
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited December 2015
    My Flying V.

Thankfully, with the help of @TheGuitarWeasel, I've managed to modify it as my needs have changed, without ruining it!

In fact, it's better now than it's ever been. It stays with me forever.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11698
    tFB Trader
    Possibly my Japanese Charvel Model 2 from 1986 (although I liked both The Ibanez Iceman and the Aria XX Flying V I had)

That poor Charvel got so abused that there was nothing left of the body in the end, however I do still have it with a new body on it now....and a refret too!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Possibly my Japanese Charvel Model 2 from 1986 (although I liked both The Ibanez Iceman and the Aria XX Flying V I had)

That poor Charvel got so abused that there was nothing left of the body in the end, however I do still have it with a new body on it now....and a refret too!

that…. is just pure sex…
    love it...
    play every note as if it were your first