Nitro on top of Poly?

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3090
edited December 2015 in Making & Modding
Squier necks are unbelievably anaemic looking, if I wanted to spray vintage tinted Nitro over Poly would it work, assuming prepping with, say, 400 grit?

Cheers

Paul
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3955
    Yes. I've done it plenty of times before. As long as you key it (400 is ideal) and degrease thoroughly you're golden.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3090
    Thanks D!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3955
    Hit us all up with some pics when you're done, mind ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72934
    Fender do it on their posh nitro-finished models, so yes :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2633
    Thinking of doing something similar with my classic player Jazzmaster body - I take it I wouldn't need to use a nitro primer and I could spray over the suitably keyed black poly with Sherwood Green nitro?
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2972
    tFB Trader
    Exactly. Degrease it well esp if it was ever waxed.
    Then sand, paint. No need for primer, the old paint is a ready-made primer/sealer.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    This is all VERY worth remembering. Thanks Guys.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3090
    I din't need to do it as it turned out, I was going to buy a new Squier Bronco Bass, but got one off here used and the pale neck had faded and darkened nicely....the info will I am sure come in useful in the future though...

• ewalewal Frets: 2633
    Just to add to the already useful record - what should I use to degrease the body before sanding? Thanks.
    tFB Trader

Panel Wipe is made for the job like this one On fleabay as well but brands are a bit of a lottery there.
    Wipe on wet and wipe off with another cloth, Tesco's white kitchen towels don't leave lint but the pros use lint-free cloths sold for the purpose (look for "panel wipers" in that site).

And "tack rags" - slightly tacky cloths to take off sanding dust, and for a quick clean of fluff and whatnot just before painting. Gentle wipe, don't mash them into the surface.

In a pinch lighter fluid works but Panel Wipe is the boss.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4212
    Fender Pearlescent guitars are Nitro over Poly, as are some PRS's
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader
    sweepy;914186" said:
    Fender Pearlescent guitars are Nitro over Poly, as are some PRS's
    As are most of the CS Guitars. Vintage fenders were coated with Fullerplast as a sealer/grainfiller before finishing which was essentially the same thing.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    edited December 2015 tFB Trader

What some places call poly sealer/grain filler, in particular that excitable "dirty little secret" page isn't the same as 'poly' paint, which elsewhere is called two-pack or 2k and the yanks call urethane, catalysed urethane, acrylic urethane etc etc. Too many damn names, but it's not the same animal as the filler/sealer.

Some sealers/fillers are rock hard and a proper bastard to remove. Done a couple of guitars that had sprayed sealer coatings almost like a hard shell. Good base for paint and cheap production (easy grain-fill & seal), but the wood won't show any wear this side of the apocalypse.
    And others with a good grain filler & thin sealer that would age/relic up and look fine with nitro.

But I wouldn't be surprised if some companies actually do paint nitro onto actual 2k paint (or "poly"). Grain-fill, seal and/or clearcoat, then finish with nitro. 2k clear or primer makes a stable base, quick & easy to do final paint, the process could fit in with general production since it shares stages. Also suits some finishes like flake or heavy pearl. Several reasons it makes sense.

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader
    @Corvus I've just finished a TV Special with a PolyCrylic grainfill/sealer, dries rock hard, self levels (to a point) and sands easily. Will let you know how it works out.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    tFB Trader
    That sounds good, always good to know about products etc, pics good too :)