Feedback on recording of Cover Song.

TPReggieTPReggie Frets: 22
edited December 2015 in Studio & Recording
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right room to put this in - but as it is recording, I figured I would put it in here. 

Just looking for some constructive comments/criticism here really as we continue to learn and improve. This is a cover just finished of a song by Skillet called Awake and Alive. 

Whole thing is recorded using Reaper, guitars and bass are myself, male vocals a friend, female vocals and keyboards are my wife. Drums are made using EZ Drummer. 

We followed the song quite closely I guess, but I really wanted to change the guitar up in a few areas, beef it up, add some interest in the second verse by using my own riffs, doing my own solo and so on. 

The original song can bee seen here:

Our cover version can be heard here, although it doesnt sound anywhere near as beefy on Soundcloud :(
Do they compress things?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Wow, not a single comment, I didn't think it was that bad, lol.  
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Its quite good...;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    It does sound good. Only listened on tablet speakers, but thought your wifes vocals could maybe do with more compression. I'm no expert though
  • Thanks for the comments guys :)
  • Having never heard the original before I played a bit of it ( not my thing I'd admit)and your version sounds like it. The female vocal on yours isn't quite right in the mix somehow? Again just on tablet speakers but it's close to disappearing. Enjoyed the( brief) solo, quite classic rock. I'm tempted to ask why cover this but it may have been number one in 27 different countries for the last two years for all I know, my listening habits primarily in the 70's at the moment.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Hmm, yes I guess the wife's vocals could come up a bit now that everyone is saying it :) Thanks for the comments, and to answer why this song - simply put I guess it is because I like the song, I like the band, and I find it refreshing to do covers of lesser known songs - everyone does the well known ones.

Thanks again for the comments, I will take them forward into the next project which is something from one of Shinedown's early albums I think.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    The female vocals sound 'distant' like she was too far from the mice and there are a lot of room reflections recorded, other than that it all sounds great to me