Top tips - invaluable. How it went.......

What's Hot
thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2806
After all your help - which was really helpful and supportive, thank you very much, I just wanted to give you a quick update on how it went. 

Quite an evening in the end.  I really enjoyed it and it seemed to go very well.  People actually got up and boogied!  The downside was that we were the last act (should be a big plus?) but there were so many other performances (by local people - this was a herefordshire in the sticks night) that by the time we got on half the audience had gone home and called it a day.

The other (slightly depressing) thing was that the other guitarist and the drummer got quite pissed beforehand which was a bit frustrating (and unprofessional) and although we held it together and "got away with it" it was annoying for me (guitar) and the bassist as all the hard work beforehand was squandered.  The other guitarist just played too loud and was in his own world really.

The other bummer was that in the encore - excitingly we were genuinely wanted to come back and do some more, my amp just went into a haze of distortion and basically died.  No doubt I will be calling @ICBM (and y'all) in the not too distant future for some advice on that one once I've had the chance to revisit it and test a few things out. 

Thans again for your great tips.  Invaluable.
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    Nice one.
    Did you rock out with your cock out?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2806
    Of course mate.  The tip at the top of my list!  (Not literally fortunately)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    More importantly, did you knock-back the first groupie, and wait for the better looking ones?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Ah, now groupies.........do you include our singer's mum?
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    thebreeze said:
    Ah, now groupies.........do you include our singer's mum?
    Yes. As long as she threw herself at you........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    What's your band called @thebreeze? Where was the gig? I'm Herefordshire based too.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • when i gigged in an originals band. we often did four bands on the bill. the band that organised the gig was generally the headliner (we organised some, and, as we did most of the shifts on the door, didn't get quite as drunk as you'd expect). we liked to go on stage second, that way you didn't play bottom-of-the-bill and you could get drunk after).

you generally find that a band won't generally drink as much before they play as they play more gigs. 
  • In The Bo Dudleys ( cause we came from Dudley) our singer tended to drink to calm his nerves. This meant probably a pint between arrival and playing. No problem. We got a gig at a charity festival and late in the day got moved to be headliners. Unpaid gig but biggish crowd, potential other gigs,etc. This meant hours of hanging around, watching the other bands. Singer decided to calm his nerves quite a lot and our biggest ever gig became basically a shambles. :( Anyway, glad it went well. :)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    @miserneil - pm'd.

It seems quite obvious to me now re the drinking (and a familiar scenario by the sound of things).  The long wait was a big contributing factor and naturally I guess the guys just hit the bar, probably for nerves.  You see, I had all the top tips at my disposal so was ready for anything.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Being on last is a curse unless it's your show and people are there to see you specifically, otherwise the room tends to thin out as people have seen their bands and go off elsewhere.

Glad it went well. Do the drummer and guitarist know they drank too much and it affected the performance? They will drink less next time I'm sure. You need to get a handle on other guitar turning up...that's a common mistake I see a lot and just ruins songs.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• Glad you enjoyed it. You will be hooked now though, and you will crave more!

:D
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24372
    Bravo! Another cherry lost with help from the fretboard!