Any rack gear nerds?

What's Hot
I know this isn't gearslutz or whatever, but was curious if any forum members had racks or rack gear in their studios/rigs. I love seeing old looking rack gear and the like. Probably being made extinct by Axe FX etc, but still infinitely cool if not ungainly.

I also see a few people and companies getting hold of old looking audio gear and using it to repackage new things in.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• blobbblobb Frets: 2980
    edited December 2015
    I use an Ibanez UE400 & AD202 regularly. Also get much use from a  Korg rack tuner.

I have some other rack stuff that doesn't get much use: couple of reverbs and a half rack delay. I also use rack synths which have audio in for routing guitar via the filters.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33805
    I have some experience in these matters:

The Behemoth:

Mini-hemoth:

Now I use an Axe FX 2 into a power amp.
    Who can be arsed lugging around that shit ^^^^?
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    octatonic said:
    I have some experience in these matters:

The Behemoth:

Now I use an Axe FX 2 into a power amp.
    Who can be arsed lugging around that shit ^^^^?
    Sweet, run down of what's in the behemoth? 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33805
    Top to bottom:

Mesa Racktifier Rev G- modded for series loop 
    Lexicon MPXG2
    Voodoo lab GCX modded for stereo loops
    Line 6 Echo Pro
    Custom made 'distorto' box- Muff, TS9 and a mystery pedal in a rack
    Korg Tuner
    Lexicon Vortex
    TC Electronic M300
    DBX compressor
    XIX compressor
    Rocktron Intellifex
    Roland Mixer for parallel FX in the series Mesa loop.

It was a bit OTT- that was really only used in the studio.
    I reduced it to something I could lift pretty quickly.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2980
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22200
    edited December 2015
    ^^
    Supernova :) Lovely!

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

my racks tend to be small

power conditioner, preamp / multi-fx, poweramp

the current preamp / multi-fx: Axe-FX II

the cuurent poweramp: Matrix GT1000FX

previous kit: Roland GP-16, Digitech 2120 [which I still use today in the studio], Roland VG-99, Marshall 8008 Valvestate poweramp

play every note as if it were your first
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2175
    The only rack gear I have for mixing is:

Avid HD i/o
    Which feeds my Phoenix Audio Nicerizer 16, which hits my SSL bus compressor. I also have a Dangerous Music D Box for monitor control.

But that's pretty much it. Because you really don't need a lot else nowadays.

Good room treatment and monitoring is FAR more important.
  • Yes.
    I used to have three 22U rack units, but sold a whole load of stuff that wasn't getting much use after I went (mixing) deskless.

At the moment I have two 16U's worth, even though they're actually in two of the aforementioned 22U racks. The stuff that's in there is:

Alesis Microgate
    Alesis Microlimiter
    Alesis Microverb II
    Alesis Quadraverb GT
    Alesis Quadraverb +
    ART Dual Levelar  2-channel valve compressor/limiter
    Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro. 
    Boss RBF-10 Flanger
    Boss SE 50 multi fx
    Boss SE 70 multi fx 
    Boss SE 70 multi fx (yeah, two. I like them that much!)
    Cheetah MS6 analogue, mutitimbral synth module
    Deltalab DL4 digital delay
    Deltalab DL4 digital delay (I bought a pair, not working, and fixed them)
    DIY 2-1176 FET compressor
    DIY Gyratec G9 dual channel valve line/mic preamp
    DIY SSL Mixbuss compressor
    Emu Proteus 2000 synth module
    Fostex D160 16 track HD recorder
    Golden Age Project PRE-73 mic/line preamp
    Lexicon Alex digital reverb
    Lexicon LXP-1 digital reverb (ex-Budgie from the Banshees)
    Lexicon Reflex digital reverb
    MoTU 828 Mk III audio interface
    MXR Dual 15 Band EQ
    Roland DEP-5 multi fx
    Roland SRV-330 Space Reverb
    TL Audio C5021 2-channel valve compressor
    Ursa Major Stargate 323 digital reverb

I mostly do spacey guitar music and what people tend to call ambient/downtempo electronic stuff. My favourite delays and reverbs tend to come from older bits of kit, which I haven't managed to completely replicate with plugins. The Stargate is, according to Sean from Valhalla, almost impossible to replicate. That's a huge shame, as it's my favourite reverb for guitar and keys. I'm also a big fan of the DEP-5s digital delay, along with the old Deltalab delays, which use Delta-Sigma conversion. It's a different sound which I'm rather fond of.

Much of what I have/had was bought broken for cheap, then repaired by me. Sometimes I got really lucky. The second SE 70 was ex-Mixmaster Morris, was completely covered in holographic sticky plastic and rattled when shaken. That's because the internal battery had died,and the replacement was never fitted: it was loose inside! 20 minutes later and it was working. The cost? £6! It did take rather longer to remove the sticky-backed plastic though.
    The pair of Deltalab delays was got for £23. One was an easy fix. Vintage gear, especially from the late 70s/early 80s will often have any Tantalum capacitors go short-circuit. One of the PSU rails wasn't working and that was just a faulty tant. The other was much more difficult, especially with no schematic to work with.
    The DEP-5 was £22 and had nothing wrong with it whatsoever.
    The Alex was £10. It was described as making funny noises and I was expecting it to be the usually faulty DRAM problem. As it turns out, it was another, less common problem. Upon first power-up, it would lock up. All you need to do is the classic turn it off and on again.
    Incidentally, if anyone has a faulty Lexicon Alex/Reflex etc which makes a cyclical "breathing" noise, it's one or more faulty DRAM chips and I have a stash of these from when I repaired my Reflex which went tango-uniform.

anyway, I don't have any current pics, but here's a pic of the three racks together:

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Yes.
    I used to have three 22U rack units, but sold a whole load of stuff that wasn't getting much use after I went (mixing) deskless.

At the moment I have two 16U's worth, even though they're actually in two of the aforementioned 22U racks. The stuff that's in there is:

Alesis Microgate
    Alesis Microlimiter
    Alesis Microverb II
    Alesis Quadraverb GT
    Alesis Quadraverb +
    ART Dual Levelar  2-channel valve compressor/limiter
    Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro. 
    Boss RBF-10 Flanger
    Boss SE 50 multi fx
    Boss SE 70 multi fx 
    Boss SE 70 multi fx (yeah, two. I like them that much!)
    Cheetah MS6 analogue, mutitimbral synth module
    Deltalab DL4 digital delay
    Deltalab DL4 digital delay (I bought a pair, not working, and fixed them)
    DIY 2-1176 FET compressor
    DIY Gyratec G9 dual channel valve line/mic preamp
    DIY SSL Mixbuss compressor
    Emu Proteus 2000 synth module
    Fostex D160 16 track HD recorder
    Golden Age Project PRE-73 mic/line preamp
    Lexicon Alex digital reverb
    Lexicon LXP-1 digital reverb (ex-Budgie from the Banshees)
    Lexicon Reflex digital reverb
    MoTU 828 Mk III audio interface
    MXR Dual 15 Band EQ
    Roland DEP-5 multi fx
    Roland SRV-330 Space Reverb
    TL Audio C5021 2-channel valve compressor
    Ursa Major Stargate 323 digital reverb

I mostly do spacey guitar music and what people tend to call ambient/downtempo electronic stuff. My favourite delays and reverbs tend to come from older bits of kit, which I haven't managed to completely replicate with plugins. The Stargate is, according to Sean from Valhalla, almost impossible to replicate. That's a huge shame, as it's my favourite reverb for guitar and keys. I'm also a big fan of the DEP-5s digital delay, along with the old Deltalab delays, which use Delta-Sigma conversion. It's a different sound which I'm rather fond of.

Much of what I have/had was bought broken for cheap, then repaired by me. Sometimes I got really lucky. The second SE 70 was ex-Mixmaster Morris, was completely covered in holographic sticky plastic and rattled when shaken. That's because the internal battery had died,and the replacement was never fitted: it was loose inside! 20 minutes later and it was working. The cost? £6! It did take rather longer to remove the sticky-backed plastic though.
    The pair of Deltalab delays was got for £23. One was an easy fix. Vintage gear, especially from the late 70s/early 80s will often have any Tantalum capacitors go short-circuit. One of the PSU rails wasn't working and that was just a faulty tant. The other was much more difficult, especially with no schematic to work with.
    The DEP-5 was £22 and had nothing wrong with it whatsoever.
    The Alex was £10. It was described as making funny noises and I was expecting it to be the usually faulty DRAM problem. As it turns out, it was another, less common problem. Upon first power-up, it would lock up. All you need to do is the classic turn it off and on again.
    Incidentally, if anyone has a faulty Lexicon Alex/Reflex etc which makes a cyclical "breathing" noise, it's one or more faulty DRAM chips and I have a stash of these from when I repaired my Reflex which went tango-uniform.

anyway, I don't have any current pics, but here's a pic of the three racks together:

I bet when it's all powered up and the room is dark it looks propper flight deck sort of cool...

note to self... need more flashing lights and stuff in the studio, especially if they don't actually do anything..

play every note as if it were your first
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 896
    Here's one of my old racks...

What I have now is in my studio desk: TC 2290, TC Reverb 4000, Axe Fx II XL, TC 1210, Palmer PGA-04 and Korg A3 (plus a TC SK48 interface and Furman regulator).
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    Looking at the above I have come all over  X_X

After years of collecting the odd unit here and there, I have just managed to compile my first rack, consisting of:

Behringer Rack Tuner
    Digitech GSP 1101 
    Marshall 8008 power amp.
    BBE 8421 Sonic Maximiser  
    Behringer 1010 FCB controller.
    1 x 12 Laney Cab.

Waiting in the wings is a Peavey TG Raxx pre amp to go in the loop of the GSP for some toob type shenanigans . When I finally establish exactly how that works ............ any help appreciated, of course  [-O<
  • ElxElx Frets: 412

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The flowers are my wife's idea and will be removed soon :)