Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Mini Wah!

What's Hot
PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
So i'm trying to save space on my pedalboard (who isn't?!) and my Bad Horsie might have to go. I don't have a particular affinity to it, apart from it has been on the board for years and years and just works. I've been looking at the possibility of a mini wah, like the new Crybaby.

Does anyone use a mini wah? If so, what did you try before you decided?

Thanks!

Dave
This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Also, I should add that I play in a funk/soul band, so wah is a must......
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    I've got the Dunlop mini wah. I bought it on a bit of a whim really as I don't use wah very much. I changed the voicing to the more classic one as that seems to suit the music I play.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    Plectrum said:
    I've got the Dunlop mini wah. I bought it on a bit of a whim really as I don't use wah very much. I changed the voicing to the more classic one as that seems to suit the music I play.
    Thank you sir - how do you find the smaller footprint? Do you get on with it?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Haven't tried one but those AMT wahs sound good and you can adjust the voicing.
    The Plutoneium Chi Wah Wah sounds pretty good too.
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    There's a new Mooer Wah out recently, where you can also adjust the size of the footprint. Worth looking into.
  • I've got the Dunlop mini Cry Baby. I Bought it as I was downsizing to a Pedaltrain Mini. I have it set to the middle setting out of the 3, it works great for me. I use it mostly on clean stuff and it works really well.

• cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360

The mini wah gets the nod from me. I use it on the low/bassier setting as I use it more as half cocked thing than an actual wakka wakka wah, and that setting seems to suit that a bit better.

I've never really given a thought to the smaller footprint, it just feels like a wah.

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    I'm a Novice player but after trying my Old Man's full size Cry Baby I decided it was so much fun I had to get a Wah pedal for messing around with. I ended up going for the Cy Baby Mini and I love it. I actually find it easier to use than the full size one, but I play sitting down at home, although when standing it works great too.

I find the Low and Middle setting really good, but the High a bit too much. It seems to have a really large range too and if you position your foot in the right place it's superb, I have no issues with the size and it sounds really crisp.

Andy
  • I have the AMT japanese girl. Great little wah. If you go to them direct they are very good with discounts as well.
    www.karltone.co.uk    Dealer in Valves and bits and bobs   www.facebook.com/karltonevalves
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    karltone said:
    I have the AMT japanese girl. Great little wah. If you go to them direct they are very good with discounts as well.
    Have to be careful when Googling that ;)

Thank you all for the information and advice, I am looking into all suggestions now :)

Dave
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    I have an AMT and it ticks many boxes.  

I can even get a convincing sound out of it for the "talk box" bit in Linin' on a Prayer. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a Plutoneium Chi Wahwah which you play with your heel on the floor. It's the same size as standard pedals and seems to be utterly bomb-proof. Great sounding wah as well.
    MattFGBI said:
    I have an AMT and it ticks many boxes.  

I can even get a convincing sound out of it for the "talk box" bit in Linin' on a Prayer. 
    Hhmmm, that's 2 votes for the AMT - not a bad price either! Thanks Matt.
    I have a Plutoneium Chi Wahwah which you play with your heel on the floor. It's the same size as standard pedals and seems to be utterly bomb-proof. Great sounding wah as well.
    Just had a look at that - do you use it on a pedal board? If so, how easy is it to operate?
  • I wonder - with the trend towards smaller pedals - if we will evolve to have smaller feet in the future?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_Dave;889562" said:
    vasselmeyer said:

I have a Plutoneium Chi Wahwah which you play with your heel on the floor. It's the same size as standard pedals and seems to be utterly bomb-proof. Great sounding wah as well.

Just had a look at that - do you use it on a pedal board? If so, how easy is it to operate?
    It's at the front on a Pedaltrain 1. It is no problem at all to use and feels completely natural. The only thing you can't do is the cocked sound as it's a sprung pedal and auto on/off. I'm on mobile at the moment so can't link, but check out bergs demos on YouTube.
    @vasselmeyer - will do, ta :)
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    I've got the Hotone Soul Press. Works for me and can also be used as a volume pedal and expression pedal as well
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @PC_Dave Here you go, mate. Back at a PC now:

And then a slightly newer version of the pedal, apparently with slightly more bass and some other indefinable mojo:

• markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    I have the AMT - no expert, but it's a good wah sound to my ears and the three different settings help.