Anyone own a Cornford RK100 ?

What's Hot
This has been the amp Ive been wanting for a loooooong time....
Seems like a nice simple layout - kinda plexiish and then with the cool footswitch knocked off all the gain you could realistically (well for me anyhow) need...

I was looking for one during the summer but the lad selling changed his mind.
Now one pops up on ebay in white (ugh probably better in person) and Im ponying out for an eternity ring in february aargh ;)

Am i never meant to have one???

I had a thread on this on the old MR but I think I need prodding again ;)
With Tremonti using one all over his last AB record im wondering has anyone else pulled their's out of the closet and given it a dusting off?!

There is an amazing lack of decent clips of these amps on YT... For the calibre of builder and artist its a bit weird...

Anyway, I think it would end my high gain plexi obsession and along with my Matchless and an old JMp possibly my amp collection (until that Lazy J rears it head hmmm!)

Any experiences with the RK guys/gals?
Thanks
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• No other amp now for me Lazy J's rule :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Ha!  

I've bid on that too. 
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 146
    Its an amazing amp, if you've got the reason to turn it up. You'll be a happy chappy
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I had a RK100 and its hands down the finest amp i've ever owned or played. The presance and power that the amp can deliver is absolutely unreal, to me the sound was closer to Soldano than a Plexi, it'll out gain 5150's and Engls through if you want it too! The simple control layout is a real blessing and really cuts down the time you spend twiddling knobs, footswitchable boost is awesome but i just used to run mine without it engaged.

It really is a great amp, i only sold mine because i thought i needed a multi channel amp (of course i didnt). It'll make you rethink your playing though, because even at the highest gain settings it wont mask sloppy technique
  • Nice one Timmy... I know i'd love it if i got one!
    My main amp is a single channel and I love riding the volume control so it'd be right up my street...
    I WILL get one, next year most likely.

Very few clips around though.....
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • On the fence now whether to buy one or a Tyler..... Anybody got a Kitzen 4x12? I remember @jazzpartyhats used to have a few....
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 896
    ...Anybody got a Kitzen 4x12?...
    I have.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • Ah Gadget!
    You sure we werent seperated at birth? Im like your poor brother - you seem to have all the gear i want lol
  • I had the head and 4x12 cab, its a fabulous amp. Very dynamic and super versatile despite the simple layout. Like all Cornfords it takes pedals great but it is ferociously loud!! The cab is my favourite 4x12, a real beast. If i was gigging some serious venues or had a studio big enough Id still have both. Highly recommended.
  • Found out a couple of weeks back that the Cornford RK100 prototype is housed at a studio local to me, and where we recorded our last demo....I may have to pop over again soon.
  • Cool, have you heard the story that when Richie was over testing the amp at the photo stage he apparently blew the speaker leads out of the cab such was the volume!
    That's why the RK 4x12 has a locking jack socket.
  • Rock'n'roll!!
  • Yes. I've also heard the story that he had more than one blow up while he was out on tour....

He's gone back to them for the latest tour, and Martin Kidd mentioned the other day that he stil has the diagrams in his head if RK wants a new signature model (RK mentioned the possibility in a recent 'Rig Rundown' for Premier Guitar).

I'd like one, but then I'm a bit of a fanboy.

• Gotta love RK.... Genuinely very talented...
  • Anyone selling one?!
    Haven't seen any since I bought mine. Will let you know if I do.
  • Thanks Gadget, one up in the states ;(
    Nearly pulling the trigger on a cae3+ but really dont need the hassle of racks/switching etc ;(
    edited December 2016
    Good preamp. I had a 3+SE 10 years back when I was doing the whole guitar rack thing. Best to get an early one with thicker PCB and with the Blackface and tranny mods done. I built my own little manual mini-switch box so I could do the remote control switching round the front.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom