Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Australian bands

What's Hot

Comments

• freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1219
    edited November 2013
    The Hoodoo Gurus made some rocking indie guitar records esp Crank and Blow Your Cool!

http://youtu.be/EO97T3RONmM

Link to my trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited November 2013
    The Hoodoo Gurus made some rocking indie guitar records esp Crank and Blow Your Cool!

Ha! Beat me to it, although I was more of the 'Stone Age Romeos' and 'Mars Needs Guitars' period.

pure Oz Pop perfection!

Also love The Church right up until they got big in America (was that the 'Starfish' album?), where they seemed to become even more navel-gazing and glum, and lost that jangly pop charm.
  • The Living End

/endofthread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I know this will set the QI buzzers off but I was an insufferable inxs bore in my mid teens. As mentioned in the other thread I met Kirk Pengilly once too.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Kebabkid said:
    @Bellycaster - I, too, was going to mention Jimmy Barnes but I thought he might be a bit too well known, like John Farnham. Check out JB's "Too much ain't enough love" with Neal Schon on guitar.

Rick Price - Oz's answer to Richard Marx
    JB does that tune on Bonamassa's last album...11 on the wellyometer ;)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33867
    edited November 2013
    dogload said:

Ha! Beat me to it, although I was more of the 'Stone Age Romeos' and 'Mars Needs Guitars' period.

pure Oz Pop perfection!

Also love The Church right up until they got big in America (was that the 'Starfish' album?), where they seemed to become even more navel-gazing and glum, and lost that jangly pop charm.
    Brad Shepherd (Hoodoo's guitarist) used to live around the corner form me- used to see him out a lot around Bondi.
    Very cool guy.

I know Marty Wilson-Piper from the Church too- again from Bondi scene.

I shouldn't have posted this thread.
    I'm now home-sick and have been all day.
    I think the Frente! song did it.
  • I'll check that song out @Kebabkid

I expected you to be partial to a bit of J.B

Cheers

;)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Go-Betweens, what a great band:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Are Beasts of Bourbon well known?  I like this a lot. Like some some of their other stuff too, but not all as good as this IMO.

Big plus one's for Hoodoo Gurus & of course The Birthday Party (RIP Tracy Pew & Roland Howard)

Maybe The Vines are too obvious? Not that keen generally, but must say Get Free is pretty excellent.

Also really like Dave Hole the blues guy (much prefer him to various much better known people)

Beasts are one of my favourite bands- I was saving them for later but here you go:

• historyisjunkhistoryisjunk Frets: 500
    edited November 2013
    Yea, like that one, "Don't Care" is v good too. Are they well known outside Australia, never seen anything in the shops (not that there's that much in a lot of shops now)?
    Sure I saw something good on YT by the guitar player with the Strat & some other people, but he had a LP Junior
    They are well known in parts of Europe- I don't think they cracked the US.

Kim Salmon is the main reason I picked up a guitar back in the late 80's.
  • Airbourne and Tracer are both Aussie bands who seem to have made a bit of a name for themselves in UK/Europe recently (occasionally we manage to find the odd copy of Classic Rock out here Down Under... It's scarce, but we do get it!) ;)

Does this include 'solo artists' too? Think Tommy Emmanuel, Jimmy Barnes etc. ;) 
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Of course who can forget the exceptional talents of the Finn brothers/Crowded House etc.

Extremely under rated as far as I can see.
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72786
    johnnyurq said:
    Of course who can forget the exceptional talents of the Finn brothers/Crowded House etc.

... and from New Zealand :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited November 2013
    ICBM said: johnnyurq said: Of course who can forget the exceptional talents of the Finn brothers/Crowded House etc.

... and from New Zealand :).
    Ditto The Chills
    Crowded House are far from under-rated in Oz & NZ.
    They are one of the biggest bands- I guess they didn't hit as big outside of Australasia.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Yes I meant it was over here they get overlooked a bit. Never been to Oz or NZ sadly.