Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Jeff Beck on Sky Arts

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Lixarto said:
    I'm a bit ambivalent about Jeff.

He's a very talented player, without a doubt, but I struggled with What Time Does The Tune Start?

And Day in the Life ( is that the right title? ) was just the song melody played note for note then some swooping and gargling noises, IIRC from the programme.Enormous talent, but to reiterate @dindude , so often lacking a decent vehicle for it.*

I think Beck is in the unfortunate situation of being a sublimely talented melodist but an uncomfortable front-man. The Ronnie Scotts DVD is great but I think Beck seems most at ease (and shines brightest) when he's backing up Imogen Heap on 'Blanket'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Clingy said:
    Saw him live a couple of years ago.....very disappointing.
    I saw him live a couple of years ago and was utterly transfixed by the sheer brilliance, variety and tonal excellence of his playing - probably the best all-round guitar player on the planet, period, IMHO. And I'm not particularly a special fan. Not sure what you guys are on, who don't seem to appreciate his genius, but I have a sneaking feeling that it may be because you are... young!   :-O
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't know about appreciating his genius, but for me he's an odd category of artist. I agree that he appears to have all the qualities you'd need to be a musical great, stunning technique,  invention, feel, a personal voice.  And yet........... he hasn't accumulated a significant body of work that I'd want to hear more than very occasionally. Some of the early Yardbirds hits still stand up, Blow by Blow stands up in patches, some odd bits and pieces here and there.

Despite the success of "Cause we've ended" I think the guitar instrumental versions of lovely tunes have been a blind alley for him.  Who really wants to hear guitar instrumental versions of tunes made famous by, say, Jeff Buckley or The Beatles if you can listen to Buckley or the Beatles? Apart from other guitar players? I think the whammy bar virtuoisity is another example of energy in the wrong place - yeah, it's jaw-dropping to witness the first time, and no-one else can do it, but where's the evidence it can be used to createl music you want to stick on repeat listen?

Huge admiration for the guy but always feel that with talent like his he should have done more.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    I'm 46 and like a very wide range of music - guitar based and not - and I'm afraid I just don't get Jeff Beck. Dreadfully dull noodling. I've no doubt he's extremely talented but, as others have said, no vehicle for his skills.

Seems like a really nice chap though.
  • I can't watch him any more. The over use of the tremolo bar becomes a warbling mess.

Such a shame!
  • His expressiveness with a guitar is incredible.. but you can't help but wish he had a proper vehicle (i.e, songs and someone to stop him when he went too far!)
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    From what I have seen his skill on a guitar is incredible. Although to be honest watching Claptons Crossroads in Chicago with Albert Lee, Steve Winwood, B B King, Jeff Beck to name a few I am dumbstruck. As my niece would say 'OMG'. For me I really enjoy the more experimental, less safe side of Jeff. At the end of the day you cannot please all of the people all of the time.