Played with backing tracks last night - eugh...

What's Hot
MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
It's been while since i did a show with backing tracks and i'd forgotten how pants it is :)

I had a wedge in front of me blaring out cheesy backing tracks in my face, and the general on stage sound while clear, was a million miles from the real thing...

don't really have a point to make, just having a rant :D

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Never done it. I'd imagine it to be pretty much like you say.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd be more concerned that the rest of the band didn't turn up.  Was it something you said, maybe?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    edited December 2015
    I've done a few gigs like that - the whole band on backing tracks except for vocals, lead guitar and the occasional keyboard part. It was easy money but it always felt a bit fake. The problem was what to do when there was no live guitar part to play - assuming it wasn't something where there was obviously nothing going on, like a song with just piano and vocal - stand there doing nothing, or fake some chord shapes with the guitar turned off? The first looked stupid and the second felt dishonest. But I was being paid well and I'm sure none of the punters cared or were fooled that there was a full band there, so I just faked chords.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GallagheroneGallagherone Frets: 143
    edited January 2016
    I think if it is done well, they can end up being really useful. I've used backing tracks before alongside a full band setup (two electrics, bass, keys, drums) and it has really enhanced our sound. Never really used it to replace a guitar part or anything like that, but more just to fill the sound out like with a string part or electric drums. Or to help out if there is more than one keys part. It can add the sparkle that is sometimes missing when playing live compared to a studio recording.

We use abelton as well which is good because it means we can split the stems and only use what we need to use. 

I was against it at first but now actually really enjoy playing with them (when we get it right).

• I've done two gigs as part of a backing track duo thing, and hated it immensely both times, for all of the reasons mentioned above.

Also, having the tracks not done properly - no click intro for tracks that need it (i.e. they come straight in on the vocals and you can't guage when it's going to start) - really makes it a mess.

If you come in late with a vocal on a gig, your band mates can adapt and extend the verse or whatever...Come in late with a backing track and EVERYBODY knows it.

Up until now I've been "guitarist with BV's", but this year i turn into "Singing guitarist" as the band has had a shake up and I have been promoted, and as it happens I was offered a solo show with backing tracks last night. On paper, easy money, money I definitely need but...Just couldn't face it.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10418

I did a couple of years in the late nineties in a duo playing to backing tracks. I made the tracks on a sequencer and then recorded them to minidisc as that was and still is, a pretty robust and reliable format. Yeah you need the count, gotta be a one, a two, a one two three four or similar at the beginning or your have no chance of being in time

Some things I learned was to use as little backing as poss, the more you use the more fake it is. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • keithfkeithf Frets: 372

I did 10 years on my own, Loved it most of the time, Knowing that the band were going to

1. turn up

2.not get pissed.

3 start and stop on time

Was great,

The b side is it gets a bit repetitive and can be a bit soul destroying when you get a shit crowd.

other than that  its great.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom