Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NAD (Again) Speechless, Wordless... And No More Darkness

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• pmgpmg Frets: 298
    Interesting. I own a badcat blackcat which is basically a dc30 to my knowledge. I was under the impression that the nighthawk is basically the ef86 channel and that a lightning was the 12ax7 channel. I expected all to be vox flavour amps and therefore mid pushed
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • edbolivaredbolivar Frets: 153
    @wazmeister, you still loving the `lightning?

If you have time, I would be curious to hear your thoughts on the Avalon as well.

I quite like the look of them and played one years ago, when they first came out, but not the newer updated ones, just wondered what you felt was lacking compared to the nighthawk and lightning?

• GassageGassage Frets: 30925
    I bet it's a Deizel.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30925
    @wazmeister

When you said you were speechless my heart lept with joy for a nano second. Then you posted again and ruined it.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    edbolivar said:
    @wazmeister, you still loving the `lightning?

If you have time, I would be curious to hear your thoughts on the Avalon as well.

I quite like the look of them and played one years ago, when they first came out, but not the newer updated ones, just wondered what you felt was lacking compared to the nighthawk and lightning?

I'm loving the Lightning, to be honest mate. 

It really is a versatile amp, but it's strength lies in the 'touch sensitivity'. Strat straight in, no effects and you can subtly dial with the guitar volume from those lovely chimes 3D cleans to break up and beyond.

I've just had an Infinity Lopper and placed channel 1 into the Lazy J and Channel 2 into the Matchless. A beautiful wall of sound.

vs the other Matchless ?

Well, the Nighthawk was lovely too; just a bit heavier and more EL86 based, I seem to recall. The main difference though was the tone controls 'clicked' in on the Nighthawk, whereas they are simply (and ironically more complex and versatile) bass and treble on the Lightning.

The Avalon was very nice; a bit more Rambler-ish than the other Matchless. In fact, I nearly bid on the head on Ebay.

I would unreservedly recommend the Lightning.
  • edbolivaredbolivar Frets: 153
    @wazmeister thanks for your reply, will give Matchless a bit more thought
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2240

Nice amp.