Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why I will not use self service checkouts.........food for thought.....

What's Hot

Comments

• Can't say I've ever had issues. Maybe Swiss ones are better than UK ones. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Self-Service check outs don't ever moan to me about how they have to work Christmas Eve or New Year's Day.   That for me is a massive bonus.

http://i64.tinypic.com/200426s.jpg

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3073
    MtB said:
    paulnb57 - so that assumes that the 10 self checkout machines were free to buy and install in the first place? Very unlikely. Plus, what about the spare parts and labour when they break down?

I understand the basis of your philosophy, but they're not saving the sums of money that you suggest.

More likely that it's something to do with getting (most) people that only have a few items to pay for through a checkout quicker and therefore not creating massive queues and frustration in that fraction of their client base (and which will encourage them to return to the big T for just a few items rather than going to the local corner store).
    Agreed the self service don't fit themselves or repair themselves put neither do the manned ones…...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• The Sainsburys up the road leaves me little choice since they now have so few manned checkouts. Best thing to do is get a 20p pack of Paracetomol and then try to look totally confused (not too hard in my case) and then a nice lady will come over (recently dressed as an elf) and do it all for me!
    Link to my trading feedback
  • @freakboy1610 - What exactly does the nice lady dressed as an elf do for you?  Sounds like it might be worth a visit.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm happy to use the self service machines if I've only got a few items. However for a bigger shop want to use the conveyer belt to arrange the items to make it easier to pack the bags.

What really annoys me is the people who insist on going to the kiosk "so they don't have to queue" when they don't buy cigarettes, stamps, lottery stuff etc and when there is an unused self service till next to the kiosk.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think the self-service is for those without a partner in their life ...

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    ICBM said:
    Me neither. I won't use them because they rarely work properly

I've used them hundreds of times, and only once have I had one break down on me. You must be unlucky.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• @freakboy1610 - What exactly does the nice lady dressed as an elf do for you?  Sounds like it might be worth a visit.
    I made a suggestion, she said she had a headache, then I whipped out the Paracetomol!
    Link to my trading feedback
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3073
    @freakboy1610 - What exactly does the nice lady dressed as an elf do for you?  Sounds like it might be worth a visit.
    I made a suggestion, she said she had a headache, then I whipped out the Paracetomol!
    Quality!! Wis'd!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• I don't like the self-service machines. I even got told off for swearing at one once. I've never had to swear at a human till operator.

I reckon our Big Sainsbury's are either recruiting brighter and more personable staff or they are giving highly effective training, because in the last few months the checkout staff have appeared (to me at least) to be genuinely nicer. They don't just tell you to "have a nice day" in a tone of voice that says they're bored and they don't care if you end up in hell.

I prefer our village shop though. The lass on the till with the northern accent and the dark hair always has a nice smile.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4203
    I refuse to use them, Supermarkets make enough money and the checkout jobs are that "Jobs" those of us in jemployment, some well paid, can be terribly complacent and lose track of the fact that these kind of jobs are the ones that families with kids need to keep out of the Poverty trap
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Self service every time, it's much more fun. I need to get out more.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Flawed logic though as those unmanned checkouts mean workers in a factory somewhere have a job, a software company has work, maintenance people have jobs etc.

Also the savings made are no doubt passed on, we squeeze every ounce out of our supermarkets we want everything cheaper then complain about lack of quality, or jobs etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I get all my shopping delivered so I'm making sure there are two jobs available - the shopper and the delivery driver.  What's great is they often fuck something up so then they have to employ a third person to answer the phone when I ring to report it.  I'll outwit Tesco attempts to cut staffing numbers If it's the last thing I do.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Morrisons laid off people after the self service tills were introduced, therefore making your argument invalid, IT jobs can not equate to pet time unskilled in the amount of people employed and in receipt of income
  • sweepy said:
    I refuse to use them, Supermarkets make enough money and the checkout jobs are that "Jobs" those of us in jemployment, some well paid, can be terribly complacent and lose track of the fact that these kind of jobs are the ones that families with kids need to keep out of the Poverty trap
    I don't buy this as an argument. A supermarket isn't in business to employ people, it's there to make money for its shareholders. Employment of people who need jobs is a "happy" byproduct.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I use them if I'm not buying booze, if there's an assistant about then it's fine to use them even when buying booze as it only takes a few seconds to put the pin in.

I don't see the issue with them, I can't recognise these problems that some of you are describing.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Well, call me an old Lefty if you like, , families on marginal incomes rely on unskilled part time jobs to survive, taking away yet another potential employment opportunity is short sighted
  •  
    sweepy said:
    So, to refer to my previous statement, do you realise you're putting cleaners out of work if you always put stuff in the bin or go for a poo in a toilet?