Should I sell my Cornish CC1 for the BD1?

What's Hot
ruomaruoma Frets: 67
Hi guys,

So I have a bit of a love hate relationship with my CC1. I love what it does into my lazy j cruiser into the J20 when I max out the bass. This cool, compressed crumbling bass sound. Thing is though, I don't find it to be particularly transparant sounding on it's own and i'm not sure I would miss the buffer. My kingsley minstrel is great too, but not as much bass and a bit noisy and doesn't rumble in the lows like the CC1 does. 

Has anybody played a BD1? Any other suggestions for getting that compressed beated up sound in the lows? Doesn't have to be Cornish.

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 454
    i'll have the CC1 if you're thinking of selling it!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    BK Butler Tube Driver.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9615
    No 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9615
    Brilliant EQ on the CC1
  • Why not sell them all, and simply turn your amps up.  

• ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    So nobody's played the BD-1 then? I guess I'll have to buy one then to satisfy my curiosity.
  • garfygarfy Frets: 144
    I've got both and they are very different. CC-1 has like Wazmeister says a brilliant EQ, the BD-1 has a lot of "grunt" and sounds huge at higher sustain levels and that's on a strat. 
    Thanks garfy, how is the bass eq curve on the BD-1? Similar frequency to the CC-1? Have you tried the BD1 on bass too? Cheers!
    Your welcome ruoma. its different to the CC-1, much like the SS-2 (those are PC's words not mine) very powerful bass and treble controls. Yes i also play bass and its just as HUGE, forget adding a bit of grit, it starts at a fuzz type level and gets crazy. I actually use my ST-2 more with bass to give my Little Bastard a "second voice"...warm tube to gritty treble bite! The BD-1 is great with a strat to really fatten it up..check out Simon Gotthelf's excellent demo.
    edited August 2016
    Thanks Garfy! Well my favourite sound of the CC-1 is stacked into another od and pushing the bass. So seeing that I also need a good od for my bass, I thought the BD1 could double up it's duty for both.

I play bass solely through an A Designs REDDI though, so no amp. Can it really not do overdrive? I would expect the range to have been wider being a bass pedal?

By the way, how does the ST-2 stack up agains the CC-1's eq? I assume the ST-2 is cleaner sounding and purer to the tone?
    The ST-2 is not an overdrive at all, its a tone shaper. Check Pete's site for recommended settings...Shimmer tone is amazing (with a lazy j20 or a Hiwatt style amp...mines a new Hi-Tone which is fucking awesome!). I use the ST-2 to boost treble, cut a touch of bass and push the gain to give a grind to my bass guitar sound. The CC-1 has an incredible EQ, cutting or boosting in bass, mids and treble, you can really tailor how you want your sound to be or boost certain frequencies in to other pedals to bring out the best of them. The 3Q-1 gives the same tone controls i believe of the CC-1 with a very very subtle boost gain....not like the CC-1.i use it at the end of my chain to give a coloured boost.  Check Petes Facebook page for his graph designs for both CC-1 and 3Q-1.