Toys?

What's Hot
Do you buy them? I don't think I get it. I have no problem with the odd bit of lego or an action figure that reminds of your youth, but who is buying all this Hot Toys stuff I keep seeing? For "only" 500 GBP you can have a super-awesome mega-accurate Ben-Affleck-in-rubber-suit to keep in your home. I'm not saying people shouldn't if they want to, yet I'm genuinely interested why people would spend that much money on this stuff.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I have a few random bits and bobs from movies I love, etc.  Think the most I've ever spent on anything was about £25, and even that felt excessive.  I have friends who think nothing of importing £1000 cartoon figures from the other side of the world though.

Honestly though, people spend thousands on sports memorabilia and the like, and that's seen as being perfectly acceptable, so I don't see a problem with people buying whatever the hell they want.   If anything, it's slightly less weird to me to spend £500 on a giant rubber Batman than to spend the same on some sort of football memorabila. :D

-- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • Fuzzdog said:
    I have a few random bits and bobs from movies I love, etc.  Think the most I've ever spent on anything was about £25, and even that felt excessive.  I have friends who think nothing of importing £1000 cartoon figures from the other side of the world though.

Honestly though, people spend thousands on sports memorabilia and the like, and that's seen as being perfectly acceptable, so I don't see a problem with people buying whatever the hell they want.   If anything, it's slightly less weird to me to spend £500 on a giant rubber Batman than to spend the same on some sort of football memorabila. :D

When you put it like that, I don't disagree. I guess I like creative hobbies so would rather buy a new camera lens or fx pedal than something to sit on the shelf.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12378
    Bragging rights with other collectors on the web is a big part of it, sort of like post yr guitars on here I guess.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • I do have a friend with a glass cabinet in his living room full of Dr Who stuff.

(when I saw friend I really mean friend...as in an actual person that isn't me....all my toys get played with by my kids)

Anyway, this sums it up

• ParkerParker Frets: 960
    We're men. we all have hobbies we spend our pennies on (unlike the fairer kind generally!). I may not get why someone would want a life size Alien Face-hugger, but doubt they'd understand why I'd spend £150 on a metal box with a blue light and knob on it. Such is life!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm genuinely interested why people would spend that much money on this stuff.
    I think you'd have to ask on an item-by-item basis. I don't have a batman model but I probably have lots of things you'd class as "toys" and would not want. People spend silly money on equally ridiculous things that aren't "toys" (watches, cars, clothes, guitars etc) simply because it's something that they want to own.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Nope. 

I did just spend quite a bit on a Lego X-Wing before they sell out - but that will be put away for my birthday in April.