Cheapest smallest cab that would work with a blackstar ID60?

axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
I'm not very clued in on amps, any idea of a really small cheap cab that would work with my Blackstar? Is it possible to get something with a really small speaker? It is redundant at home but I was wondering if I could get something real small to keep at work for lunch times
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 634
    If you're not going to turn it up, the Orange Micro Terror cab is a 1x8 - it's only 20w and is I;ve heard it sounds pretty horrible, but would work I guess.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Thanks, I'll look into it
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72763
    Damn... I just threw out a dead Line6 Spider 15 a couple of weeks ago. I could have let you have the cabinet with a cable attached to the speaker.

If you can find something else like that it will probably do the job pretty well and you're unlikely to find anything cheaper.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Damn... I just threw out a dead Line6 Spider 15 a couple of weeks ago. I could have let you have the cabinet with a cable attached to the speaker.

If you can find something else like that it will probably do the job pretty well and you're unlikely to find anything cheaper.
    Doh! too bad. I just want to throw out a small amount of practice noise so that would have been good.
    axisus said:
    Doh! too bad. I just want to throw out a small amount of practice noise so that would have been good.
    It would probably have cost more to post it to you than it was worth though! It wasn't worth enough to fix, they're only £72 brand new… and it was a US voltage one that someone had plugged into the UK mains.

Ask at a shop near you if they have something similar - anything with a working speaker will do, although smaller than 8" isn't likely to sound great. The ID60 will handle any impedance, so that's not an issue. At the volume you're going to use it at the power rating barely matters either, 15W is plenty and most small solid-state amps are around that. The very worst that could happen is that you blow the speaker, anyway - the amp wouldn't even notice :).

Just fit a couple of feet of captive cable to the speaker - at this power level even a cut-down guitar cable will work fine, although that is not normally a good idea for 'proper' use.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    axisus said:
    It would probably have cost more to post it to you than it was worth though! It wasn't worth enough to fix, they're only £72 brand new… and it was a US voltage one that someone had plugged into the UK mains.

Ask at a shop near you if they have something similar - anything with a working speaker will do, although smaller than 8" isn't likely to sound great. The ID60 will handle any impedance, so that's not an issue. At the volume you're going to use it at the power rating barely matters either, 15W is plenty and most small solid-state amps are around that. The very worst that could happen is that you blow the speaker, anyway - the amp wouldn't even notice :).

Just fit a couple of feet of captive cable to the speaker - at this power level even a cut-down guitar cable will work fine, although that is not normally a good idea for 'proper' use.
    Thanks for the advice
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    An ID60 with a tiny cab is still pretty big to lug in to work, a fly 3 or Roland cube might be easier
    John_A said:
    An ID60 with a tiny cab is still pretty big to lug in to work, a fly 3 or Roland cube might be easier
    I wouldn't lug it back and forth. It would just live at work with my two keyboards, acoustic guitar and strat.

I bought a second hand roland cube for work. Bloody thing died after 2 months!
    You could always replace that entirely useless front panel above the amp section with a plain bit of MDF and fit four 3" car radio speakers… and turn it into a combo.

:)

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1640

How small and PM me.

Dave.

• SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    1x10 too big?
    I've heard the 2x12 version and is pretty good..
    http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/SubZero-G110-1-x-10-Celestion-Speaker-Cab/NE3
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1640

Assuming the Tube 10 has the usual conservative Celestion rating, its 30W specc' should be just about safe on the ID 60 but don't ffs get the 4 Ohm version!

It is also of pretty low sensitivity at 94dB/W/mtr and so should not create TOO much acoustic havoc.

No idea of course if they SOUND any good!

Dave.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4768
    edited December 2015
    You could probably pick up a second-hand Laney GS112VE cab (1x12" Celestion Seventy Eighty speaker, 98 dB sensitivity, 80w rating), for around £75 (new circa £169).  It will handle the ID60 at full blast with ease, has a side carry strap, and even comes in 8/16 Ohm flavours.  I have one I use with my Laney VC30-210 combo and it sounds pretty good.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)