Tell me about the Carr Rambler

koss59koss59 Frets: 857
I'm looking for a new combo next year, Fender style single channel with great reverb. Don't want to too heavy as I'll have to run on and off stages with it. Is the Rambler fairly loud? More so than a deluxe reverb? I'm drawn to this combo as some players I like seem to use it.
Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1623
    I had one and a silverface DR at the same time and the Rambler was a bit louder IIRC. Not a lot in it i don't think. They are fantastic amps but i must say i prefer other Carrs, the Sportsman and Viceroy for example, which are both warmer sounding, though i am told the Rambler benefited from a speaker upgrade to make it a bit less hi-fi

• Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 857
    If it's only a touch louder than a deluxe then I'm probably going to have to count it out. Maybe I'll look at the new 68 custom Vibrolux, it's half he price too which is a bonus.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9628
    edited December 2015
    @Koss59 - You dealing with a Carr fanboy here mate, I'll try to be objective !

It is a wonderful amp, and renowned the world over for a reason.

It has two modes; pentode (louder and cleaner) and triode (v slight hint of break up). I usually use the triode at home, and a mixture live. 
    The amp is totally silent, and is the best pedal platform Ive ever encountered.

Steve Carr's service is simply stunning, and not just BEFORE you are buying the amp, but after if it goes wrong.

Criticisms ? It can be a bit 'hi fi' for some, and not as warm as say a Sportsman or Princeton style.

I've recently thought of moving mine on in a complete moment of madness. But man, I've rediscovered it and fell in love again !!!

Feel free to ask away any questions.

The Rambler is a glorious CLEAN amp; it it hard to get it to break up. But those cleans are majestic; listen to 1.30 onwards here for pure majestic Rambler; the first amp is the Mercury, and listen to the difference when the Rambler kicks in...

• westwest Frets: 998
    I think i've had mine for about 8 ish years now ... really  fab amp, not too heavy plenty of headroom,great pedal platform , mines been totally reliable a great grab and go rig with a zendrive .

The only slight niggle for me is the sound of the enclosure itself , if you have the amp up fairly loud you get this thump a sort of woop sound , through my 1x12 boogie cab this dose not happen and through my fuchs 2 x 12 closed ported cab with heritage g1265's it sounds even better !  i didnt like the wizard speaker , but the (boogie ) celestion black shadow and heritage g1265 sounds great !

• Man,

I'd say its much louder than a Deluxe, and you MUST get one with the Elsinore speaker in.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 857
    Cheers everyone, looks like I'll have to go try one in the new year.
  • Carrs are great but if you're in this price bracket you may want to look at Tone King too. In fact a friend of mine is thinking of letting go his Sky King which I would love but couldn't warrant it at the moment :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Another shout for the Tone King here, although I'd suggest an Imperial. I have one, as well as a Carr Sportsman, and chose it over the Rambler. I did like the Rambler, but much preferred the feel and sound of the Imperial. It also weighs about 32lbs and even in its flight case I find mine easy to lug around.

Mark Knopfler uses them live for his clean sounds, incidentally.