Re-doing Binding

Ive been working on this LP alike for a while, it was an old unused one that was damaged in transit and has been through several transitions. Unfortunately on finishing the top I realised all the sanding had taken its toll on the binding and it now looks tatty. What are the chances of re doing it without messing with the finish too much? The guitar isn't worth anything so not the end of the world if left alone but it does annoy me a bit. Would painting it be an option?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JadenJaden Frets: 251
    depends what the finish is..
    Jaden Rose Guitars :: Jaden Rose Guitars on Facebook :: My Facebook :: YouTube

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

• SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    It's a polyurethane / oil mix on the bottom, stained / polyurethane / briwax top.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8836
    Can you scrape the binding with a blade to get back to clean plastic?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    edited December 2015
    Not a lot left there @Roland it's very thin now after sanding. The guitar had a poly finish originally so very thick. Left a lip that had to be sanded in the binding. It is literally paper thin in places.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16914
    Its not terribly difficult if the channel is in good shape, and you are refinishing anyway.

Its very difficult if you are trying to do it neatly without a refin.

Also, if its paper thin through its whole height then the channel won't be deep enough and recutting that is a bugger on a carved top. But its more likely its just thin on the top edge
    I think I will try painting, likely just mask off and use a cream brush on type paint then polyurethane over the top. As I said it's a cheap guitar anyway but a good player. Cheers folks