Big smile.
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    wheeeeeeeee :)

Good day at Andertons that!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Aye, that it was. Very helpful staff - far more than we had any right to expect, particularly given that we were pretty bloody awkward ;)

@Josh_Andertons - that's definitely one in the "plus" column. Thanks for your help getting everything sorted too, dude :)
    <space for hire>
  • Very helpful staff - far more than we had any right to expect, particularly given that we were pretty bloody awkward ;)

Did you insist that no member of staff look directly at you?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OK, two observations now that I've had a chance to dick around with it at home through my recording setup:

1 - They're not fucking kidding when they say "HOT SURFACE DO NOT TOUCH" on the top. Almost burned my wrist on it.
    2 - My RAT Amps dummy load was at fault when I was getting fuzziness in the low end while using it to record with my Jet City amps. Looks like I'm going to have to find another solution. Unfortunately, I can't afford another solution after buying the Kraken. Bah.

I strongly suspect I'm going to end up getting a Two Notes Torpedo Live at some point, although I'd very much appreciate it if somebody could chime in with a cheaper load box - even Two Notes' bare load box is £500, and I just can't justify that kind of outlay. I'd rather just use Amplitube 4 for recording than do that.
    <space for hire>
  • You do know that one of the issues with the RAT amp load box is that it is a passive load? 

I just recently switched to recording more direct with impulses.  I built 2 active load boxes and the difference is really noticeable.  Using the passive load box I keep for testing I was getting the same buzzy low end you speak of even out of a Tweed Deluxe and on the Laney's clean channel, which comparing the impedence curve of the passive to the active box it actually makes sense why.  The total cost of each one was around the £40 mark.  I can send you the plans if you like?  The parts are a bit of an arse to source in the UK but I found them and on checking they are still available.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • You do know that one of the issues with the RAT amp load box is that it is a passive load? 

I just recently switched to recording more direct with impulses.  I built 2 active load boxes and the difference is really noticeable.  Using the passive load box I keep for testing I was getting the same buzzy low end you speak of even out of a Tweed Deluxe and on the Laney's clean channel, which comparing the impedence curve of the passive to the active box it actually makes sense why.  The total cost of each one was around the £40 mark.  I can send you the plans if you like?  The parts are a bit of an arse to source in the UK but I found them and on checking they are still available.

Very interesting. Could you send me the plans? I'm not convinced that I have the proper skills to make it, mind.
    <space for hire>
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17726
    tFB Trader
    OK, two observations now that I've had a chance to dick around with it at home through my recording setup:

1 - They're not fucking kidding when they say "HOT SURFACE DO NOT TOUCH" on the top. Almost burned my wrist on it.
    2 - My RAT Amps dummy load was at fault when I was getting fuzziness in the low end while using it to record with my Jet City amps. Looks like I'm going to have to find another solution. Unfortunately, I can't afford another solution after buying the Kraken. Bah.

I strongly suspect I'm going to end up getting a Two Notes Torpedo Live at some point, although I'd very much appreciate it if somebody could chime in with a cheaper load box - even Two Notes' bare load box is £500, and I just can't justify that kind of outlay. I'd rather just use Amplitube 4 for recording than do that.
    I'm using a Sequis Motherload Elemental. It's very good and cheaper than a Two Notes.
  • @monquixote - still, £300 is an awful lot more than I really want to spend. I'm pretty poor, having just dropped £900-odd on a trip to Andertons ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17726
    tFB Trader
    You can pick them up second hand for not too much. There was one on the classifieds for a while.
  • Glad you like the kraken dude! Good luck with finding a recording solution.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    How clean can you get channel 1 then? I think I need one of these.
  • Deijavoo said:
    How clean can you get channel 1 then? I think I need one of these.
    I can get a mostly-clean-with-a-tiny-bit-of-hair tone by having the Gain I channel on  3 o'clock and rolling the guitar volume off (which is what it's designed for). You can get a perfectly good "proper" clean out of it with the gain on about 9 o'clock, but that's not really the intended use.

It's a truly excellent amp. Honeymoon period aside, I can say that it's the only amp I've come across which may tempt me away from Jet City.
    <space for hire>
  • @Deijavoo just buy one already :p if you don't like it you can always send it back ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    I'm wanting two. Maybe one with a V30.

Nay funds though, unless you want my Hagen?  
    :D
  • Deijavoo said:
    I'm wanting two. Maybe one with a V30.
    Be warned - the Kraken is heavier than it looks. I was thinking about sticking mine in a rack with a couple of G-Majors and a MIDI switcher...now that I have one, I'm rethinking that idea.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow...I just realised - the vast majority of my rig is now hand made in the UK.

Guitars - both by Jaden Rose
    Amp - Victory
    Pedalboard - Smorg
    Multicore from board to amp - Kabl

In fact, there are only four things which aren't - Flashback, phaser, tuner and cab (Jet City), and the first three of those aren't exactly big.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Enjoy your new amp! Sounds like the trip was worth the drive then? ;)
  • Enjoy your new amp! Sounds like the trip was worth the drive then? ;)
    Well, train trip...but yes, definitely :)
    <space for hire>
  • Awesome.

Which version did you get EL34 or 6L6?
  • Awesome.

Which version did you get EL34 or 6L6?
    EL34 - it was the last one of either type they had in stock, but it was the one I was after anyway :)
    <space for hire>