How easy is it damage guitar wiring parts?

What's Hot
This evening I changed the capacitor on my Mira from the stock PRS one to a PIO style one.

Wasn't keen on the PIO so swapped back but feel like the guitar sounds a bit more trebley/harsh than it did before.  Is that just my ears or could I have damaged some part of the wiring?

Only soldering iron I have at the moment is a 100W so i am careful not to leave it on the joints for too long.  Did touch a couple of the red wires thought, which are now black wires...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Can do some damage with too much heat - though it's more than likely there's just a dry joint somewhere or something hasn't bonded quite right.

Drove myself half nuts with a Strat once which sounded completely different after removing a pot, cleaning and refitting - turned out one joint was the tiniest bit dodgy even though it all looked perfect.

Also could totally be your ears, of course. :D

-- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Thanks.  Might leave it tonight and see how it sounds tomorrow.  Might re-do the joints if still not happy.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72933
    If you thought the caps sounded different - assuming the values were the same - then it's just your ears :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 634
    ICBM said:
    If you thought the caps sounded different - assuming the values were the same - then it's just your ears :).
    Though one of the caps could have been closer to the stated value than the other...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Haha, I wasn't expecting a massive difference, just intrigued.  Maybe the difference is just my crappy soldering.  Should have just left it as this morning I had a great sounding guitar, this evening I'm pissed off because I've done something to mess ti up!
    Think one of the grounding wires had come loose.  Soldered it back on and think it's sounding as it did before.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72933
    Jeremiah said:
    ICBM said:
    Though one of the caps could have been closer to the stated value than the other...
    That's true - the modern one will have been ;). Although they do need to be fairly far out for the difference to be audible. The PIO could also easily have been leaky too though, they often are.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it, would be my advice to tinkerers.