Now Complete! First guitar build project underway - project diary

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    So, after cocking up scratchplate no2 on Sunday I received no 3 yesterday. I repaired the damaged template last night with some dust and glue and left that to dry overnight. This afternoon I went out and straightened up the template removing the excess glue/dust mix and then set about the third go at a scratchplate.

Result is a nicely finished plate this time. A small chip on one edge when doing the bevel but that has mostly sanded out and really is very small.

I've also drilled and countersunk (actually countersunk then drilled as it was more accurate) the plate mounting holes and drilled the pickup mount holes so now the plate is finished. I've not got a pic at this stage as it is currently covered in blue tape that I added to protect it when I drilled it.

I've spent this evening sorting the wiring out using the first, damaged, plate as a jig. I set it out then have just finished soldering it all up. Proper fiddly task and not sure I want to do it again in a hurry but it just needs fitting to the body, the earth soldering on to the bridge and hopefully it'll work. fairly pleased with how neatly I've done it though for a first attempt at this kind of thing.

Pickups are a pair of custom wound Mojos that Marc sorted for me to be as close a match to the Gibson pickups in John Squire's original guitar. Can't wait to hear them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cacophonycacophony Frets: 385
    very impressed. you are doing the one thing that many builders (including me!) fail to do. you are taking your time, not rushing. and it shows.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Big day today!

I started by getting the neck bolted on. This was trickier than normal due to needing to figure out a way to make sure the holes I drill in the body lined up with the holes that were already in the neck. I managed to find some old mudguard stays at work that fitted the neck holes perfectly so cut a few short pieces down and sharpened the ends on my grinder. Popped these into the neck and placed it in the neck pocket on the body and pressed down which marked the hole positions perfectly:

I could then drill the body and mount the neck. Pretty momentous moment as it finally felt like a guitar:

I didn't just stop there though. I went on and sorted out mounting the trems, the scratchplate and the pickups etc. I then strung the guitar and went and plugged it in. Fingers were all crossed but I needn't have worried, it all worked beautifully.

Bit of a fiddle with set up, bridge height and intonation and it's playing really nicely. Here's a candid pic my wife took while I was playing (even though it looks staged). I'm so chuffed. Just have to now pull it apart and do some more sanding to the body before I send it on its way to @lamf68 for painting.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh, and just to add, I weighed it out of interest as I know that John Squire's original was supposed to be very heavy. Mine's not amazingly light either at 9lbs 5oz
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9622
    Lot of wood in those offset bodies, plus you have a bit of redundant metalwork!

That idea for marking out the screw holes for the neck is rather clever.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    It's looking pretty good to me, @the_jaffa. Can't wait to see it once it's painted!
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    Looking amazing, I bet there's an immense feeling of satisfaction when you first hear the sound of a guitar you've made coming out your amp!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Awesome!!!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

Just had word from my painter that he is in the final finishing phase and I should get it back next week.

So excited
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    the_jaffa said:
    Just had word from my painter that he is in the final finishing phase and I should get it back next week.

So excited
    Excellent :)
    So, it's done! I'm super chuffed as it has come out every bit as well as I hoped it might. Definitely wasn't sure I'd be able to get it this good when I started it. Not only does it look great imo but it plays really well too. Couldn't really be happier with it. Just a quick photo at the moment but will do a proper NGD post with good photos shortly.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    How was it painted?

Stop hiding secrets! 
    Edit, just read back... Ignore me! 

Cost effective? I've got a body I want painting 
    It's arctic white nitro sprayed by a chap who also paints all of our (18 Bikes) custom bike frames. 
    I'm not sure whether he would paint for anyone else as he's mad busy with bike frames but I can ask for you if you'd like.
    That's a very fine offer, but but but

It's a long way away so wouldn't be logistically viable.

Man this is an awesome thread though