JCA22H solo boost

What's Hot
BodBod Frets: 1324
I'm having trouble getting a decent solo volume boost using my new JCA22H.

I've tried both an EQ pedal and my SHO clone in the loop, but they just seem to increase the gain rather than the volume.

I've also tried using the crunch channel fairly clean (gain position 1, master position 5), and boosting using my SHO for my main sound.  I then use the overdrive channel (gain @ 4), master @ 7, but it's still not a noticeable volume increase.

Is it a simple lack of headroom, or am I doing something else wrong?  I've come from a Blackstar HT5 which I used to boost via the loop without a problem.  Oh, I should add also that I'm using a Jettentuator which is pretty much fully open.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• capotacapota Frets: 11
    I use the Electro Harmonix LPB-1 Clean Boost - works great and its cheap (40€)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Those circuits always struggle with boosts, I've found that most seem to add gain or compress the sound.

The best result I found was to use a volume cut pedal. Passive, doesn't impact the sound, leave the pedal on for the rhythm sound and turn it off for a pure volume boost for solos etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31742
    This is my usual way around too. EQ pedal in the loop with a slight volume drop and a hint of mid scoop for a rhythm tone, turn it off for full fat lead.
  • The JCA22H has a line-level loop - meaning that when you kick the pedal in, the amp is driving the pedal (hence the additional distortion you're hearing). Basically, your pedals can't handle the line-level signal.

When I'm using my Jet City amps, I tend to use the crunch/normal channel for my chunky rhythm stuff (with a boost in front if necessary), and then the second channel for solos. If I need clean, I just roll off the volume on the guitar.
    <space for hire>
  • BodBod Frets: 1324
    Thanks folks, I'll try the EQ volume cut.  

@Digitalscream that's how I tried to use it on Saturday night, which was it's first outing, but I couldn't get the OD channel to make the necessary impact as anything above 5 on the master just increased the saturation rather than the volume.  I suspect this was down to the use of the attentuator so I think I'll strip that out.
  • Bod said:
    Thanks folks, I'll try the EQ volume cut.  

@Digitalscream that's how I tried to use it on Saturday night, which was it's first outing, but I couldn't get the OD channel to make the necessary impact as anything above 5 on the master just increased the saturation rather than the volume.  I suspect this was down to the use of the attentuator so I think I'll strip that out.
    Yes, the attenuator is what's killing you there - these amps pretty much top out volume-wise at just over 5 on the master. If you're not running through a PA, you have absolutely no reason to use an attenuator; you'll need everything the amp can put out.
    <space for hire>
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I use a custom audio clean boost in the loop and it works just fine with no attenuator
  • My understanding is that on fully open your attenuator has already applied a volcut of 3db - suggest you get your ideal clean / crunch / lead balance then apply attenuation if required afterwards.