Buying ProTools?

What's Hot
IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
I'm in the market to buy it again (my last one, PT7 is on my PowerPC iBook) to use on my MacBook Pro. 

Just wondered if anyone here had bought their ProTools from the US? Seems like a big saving. Anything to be wary of? 

Cheers
Neil
http://www.ivisonguitars.com
(formerly miserneil)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    Yeah....try Studio One

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • I cant think of any issues. Any reason you need pro tools in particular?
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2175
    I use Pro Tools HD day in, day out, and I love it.

However, if you're a hobbiest or whatever, don't bother. It isn't worth it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    I cant think of any issues. Any reason you need pro tools in particular?
    I used ProTools for years, it's my preferred DAW. I also have Logic X but it just seems a bit toy-town compared to PT (IMHO of course).

I just wondered if there'd be any issues with a US version as it seems much cheaper. I'm going to hang on for a bit though as it seems Avid are in a state of flux/don't know what the hell they are doing at present.
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7779
    You can trial Reaper for a fair while and it just works. I use PT10 (not gone AAX yet) but would start over with Reaper if necessary.

What hardware are you using?
    tFB Trader
    I have a Digi002 Rack and a Focusrite Sapphire.
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I wouldn't bother with Pro Tools. It's been utterly superseded on feature set, stability, price, and pretty every other metric you can think of.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    @Drew_fx would it be worth me getting my head around Logic X then as I already have that or what would you recommend?
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    miserneil said:
    @Drew_fx would it be worth me getting my head around Logic X then as I already have that or what would you recommend?
    Logic is a shadow of it's former self imho, but is still worth having a look at.

I'd also look at:

- Cubase 8
    - Reaper 5
    - Studio One v3.0
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    edited January 2016
    I'm Just getting back into recording after a while out. I was previously a pro tools user how ever I opted for logic considering what you get in terms of features/ content/ instruments its relatively cheap.

Pros so far for me. Plug ins are very good really like the stock compressors, Space designer is very impressive especially with briscati IRs. Its simple to use its easy, to set up multi track sessions add virtual instruments etc. Virtual drummer is great you can export midi, to create your own variations really easily. Theres some great sounds In the producer pack. You can export Virtual drummer stereo files as individual tracks. Creating Busses, aux sends, Monitor mixes is a doddle.

Cons. Audio editing feels a little fiddley. I'd say it's a little less intuitive than protools. You definitely need a second screen (although this could probably be quite an easy work around if you take the time to build your own template/enviroment) 

I've only really scratched the surface to be honest but I'm enjoying using it. Far more than I thought I would. I agree it looks a bit toytown (the GUI is a bit cutesy) but I feel like its worth persevering with. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    What always surprises me, when talking DAWS, is how Sonar usually gets overlooked. Its one of the original PC DAWs and the current incarnation is superb. Better still, they offer a membership purchase option, where you pay a montly fee, and for that you get monthly updates and extras. Not just stability updates, but usually new plugins, add ons etc.

In terms of completeness, Sonar Platinum comes with near everything you could possibly want. The bundled plugins are very high quality and you can do everything from basic recording to full mastering within the program.

All its versions, from entry upto top are very good, very stable and very easy to use. Worth a look IMO, though note it's PC only.

final word on Sonar - it used to be glitchy, but they appear to have remedied this, and in my experience its very stable.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    edited January 2016
    wayneirie said:
    I'm Just getting back into recording after a while out. I was previously a pro tools user how ever I opted for logic considering what you get in terms of features/ content/ instruments its relatively cheap.

Pros so far for me. Plug ins are very good really like the stock compressors, Space designer is very impressive especially with briscati IRs. Its simple to use its easy, to set up multi track sessions add virtual instruments etc. Virtual drummer is great you can export midi, to create your own variations really easily. Theres some great sounds In the producer pack. You can export Virtual drummer stereo files as individual tracks. Creating Busses, aux sends, Monitor mixes is a doddle.

Cons. Audio editing feels a little fiddley. I'd say it's a little less intuitive than protools. You definitely need a second screen (although this could probably be quite an easy work around if you take the time to build your own template/enviroment) 

I've only really scratched the surface to be honest but I'm enjoying using it. Far more than I thought I would. I agree it looks a bit toytown (the GUI is a bit cutesy) but I feel like its worth persevering with. 

I'm going to argue with the cons.

The problem most people have with Logic is they started with a different DAW and Logic does it slightly differently.
    It feels less intuitive because you already know a different approach.
    I find Pro Tools less intuitive because I started with Logic- it isn't the fault to Pro Tools- it is me knowing Logic really well and having spent 20 years using it, there is no way I can be as fast with PT.

You definitely do NOT need a second screen with Logic.
    Logic has screen sets- look into them- they have been around for years- like more than a decade- and specifically designed to deal with having multiple windows open- I have 9 different screen sets (you can have up to 100) with different window options, including 2 audio editing screen sets.
    They will change how you mix.

The only thing these days that I prefer PT for is multi channel drum editing- it still is better than Logic for that, I'll grant you.

Learn the Logic key commands- I do almost everything wth them these days.
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    I was speaking from my own relatively limited experience with Logic so far. You are correct in stating that it's Probably because I'm used to another product. Key board shortcuts are a given in any daw.

The shortcuts overlay is incoming. I did state that I hadn't yet created my own Template/enviroment. Thankyou for the screen sets tip. I shall investigate. I feel like I'm a little cramped on my laptop screen currently. So hopefully the Screensets will resolve this. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10431

The thing with Protools is it's strength is built on the software's integration with it's own hardware. I've had (and still have) the original D24 card system with the DSP Farm cards, then Protools Mix with Mix Farm cards then HD with core and accel  cards. For a tracking a band I would rather use any of those systems than a modern mac and Logic  \ PC with  Cubase etc because you can setup zero latency stereo headphone mixes for the band and monitor directly through the software. 

For mixing and editing or recording at home any of the modern DAW's are fine although Protool's still offers the best plugs, the best drum editing and it's the easiest software to learn if you have a background in hardware analog audio. 

www.2020studios.co.uk