Building a YJM strat - advice please.

What's Hot
Firstly, Merry Christmas to everyone! 

My craving for a new guitar has got me thinking - how easy could it be to replicate the YJM strat for less than £1700?(£1700 seems to be the average RRP for one). I played one in the states and loved it! Don't have £1700 knocking around though!

The must haves-
Strat body, nitro white finish 
Scalloped maple neck
Brass nut
Stacked single coils

I've had a quick look around online, but thought FB might prove better for costings etc.

I appreciate certain things might be better waiting for incase it's cheaper (fleabay for example) but ideally I would like to buy the parts in one go so the build isn't delayed.

Look forward to hearing your advice, even more if you've built something similar!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24780
    Ive got a set of the Dimarzio HS3 pickups he used for most of his career. I might be tempted to part with them.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3012
    Paging @Aidanspaghetti !
    From memory he's built at least one Malnsteen alike I think with a real vintage body.

Don't know if anyone supplies necks pre scalloped or if you'd have to get that done retrospectively.
    If so you could dos lot worse than get someone like MJT to price to provide you with a nitro finished neck & body finished to your liking & then get the scallop done by someone like @FelineGuitars or @WezV both of this parish
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11702
    tFB Trader
    You're looking at quite a lot of dosh for a maple fingerboard scallop job as it will require a refret too in all liklihood - especially as YJM has Dunlop 6000 on his

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Thanks for the advice guys.

Have just had a look into the scalloping alone and this looks costly indeed.

The link that @Deijavoo posted shows that it might be worth waiting for a right price 2nd hand one to come up.

Back to the drawing board :/
  • Yup! I had a 73 neck on a Malmsteen body. Great great guitar. The neck was already scalloped and was very very deep. Lovely feel to it imho! The original hs3 pickups are amazing...not at all what you'd expect. I think mjt would be the way to go if you are building one, but with the dollar the way it is, they aren't the bargain they once were.. You could try vinnies relics (iirc), @gassage has just put up a ngd post about them. One last bit of advice is that they are a hard guitar to sell on. Not great resale on them! I personally love them but I'm as odd as two left feet ;)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life