Is there merit in learning other people's songs and solos?

What's Hot
hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
I've never really bothered to learn much in the way of other people's music, be it songs, solos or riffs. I mean, there are a few that I've worked out or had a half-hearted go at but I don't think I know any songs all the way through. I tend to spend my time improvising.

I get stuck in ruts though.

Is it good practice to learn the stuff I like and try to get it note-perfect? I've always shied away from doing so, but would it help me overall if I made an effort to try?

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12037
    depends if you want to perform for other people's entertainment
    it's worth exploring other people's solos to learn from them, but I see little point in copying them unless you work in a covers band

learning a few (not lead guitar) pieces all the way through is good discipline, but again, are you going to be in a covers band

I feel much the same, and I found the best way for me was to record my own compositions, and that brings up your playing and hearing skills. 

Try different tunings if you get stuck in ruts for backing/rhythm playing, and playing over different backings in different keys will stop your solos getting stuck in ruts
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33882
    IMHO there is nothing more important than transcribing music. I think the best approach is to transcribe genres that are different to where you naturally hone into.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    I think at any stage of your guitar playing there's a benefit to learning someone else's solo just to expand your own musically vocabulary. As long as it's stuff that challenges you in some way rather than staying in your safe zone
  • you will only improve by playing something different. 
    the more detached from the norm the better (for me)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • vizviz Frets: 10758
    octatonic said:
    IMHO there is nothing more important than transcribing music. I think the best approach is to transcribe genres that are different to where you naturally hone into.
    I agree, playing others' styles is the best way of expanding your technical vocabulary, and that includes classical, rock, jazz, whatever. Trying to play things which don't just naturally fall out of your fingers is what prevents you from carving a deep furrow that you can't escape from. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    There are a few things I've always fancied having a go at, maybe I'll start with them then.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• RolandRoland Frets: 8800
    viz said: 
    Trying to play things which don't just naturally fall out of your fingers is what prevents you from carving a deep furrow that you can't escape from. 
    This is the reason. Perfect note-for-note isn't necessary, but don't skip the difficult parts. The fact that you don't know how to play them is the reason why you should find out.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Funnily enough I've just started reading Andy Summers's biography where he refers to playing jazz LPs at half-speed to help him transcribe them. He mentions how he struggled to 'hear' certain intervals - in other words the process helped him develop his 'ear'.

That's pretty much how I learned (though I never developed anywhere near his ability!)
  • Classical musicians learn to play by learning other people's compositions. 

Its fantastic for your technique.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1785
    I think that you have to look more deeply than a tab though to get the most benefit. You need to see what fretboard shapes they're using, how they're choosing certain notes over the accompanying chords, which scales they're using at which times, the intervals they've chosen etc.
    Unfortunately I'm not very good at reading those things from a tab!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9782
    hobbio;64315" said:
    I tend to spend my time improvising.

I get stuck in ruts though.

This is exactly why you need to learn other people's songs, solos, etc. This isn't to say you have to copy note for note - even learning just a few signature licks from just a handful of other players will massively increase your vocabulary, simply because of having more ideas to draw from.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Transcribing solos by Jazz players has taught me so much about improvising, theory in general and so many licks that I can throw into my playing. It gets you thinking about the reasons why you're playing things.

It's all totally relatable to all other genres - I do a lot of rock and metal and my playing/improvising has increased a great deal in those genres too through Jazz solo transcriptions.

Don't just focus on guitar players only though - make it universal and transcribe from any instrumental solo. Coltrane is good, though bloody hard work.
  • There used to be a mag called Making music years ago, and there was an article with Dave Lee Roth talking about his guitarists EVH and Steve Vai. 
    He was asked who was the better player Eddie or Steve? 
    He went on to say "well Steve is an amazing player and is so technically accomplished, amazing to work with, and Eddie sorta learnt Hendrix, stuff, some Clapton some Beck etc, and sorta developed out of all these influences to get his own style". 
    So it's hard to choose ! Interviewer said cut the crap who's best? 
    And he said " oh Eddie". 

To me what he seemed to be getting across was that you learn and use what has gone before and develope out of that and create something new with the link to the past. 
    Learn and absorb, but don't just repeat.
  • I never knew he said that, thanks for the bit of info there!
  • Definitely if you incorporate what you have learned into your style. You would have to be pretty unique to develop a style that was 100% original so there is nothing wrong with learning from other good players.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    octatonic said:
    could not agree more….

when you learn someone else's solo's you are in effect learning by example..
    for there, experiment with what's been learned.. turn one lick into 4 or 5..
    and so you lil' bag of tricks grows..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2216
    edited February 2016
    Not only the notes. I think it's good to try to emulate the bends, vibrato, slurs, slides, mutes and general scrunchy noises :). It probably won't sound exactly the same, but it puts character into your playing.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom