Advice on Controller Keyboard

I'm just getting into computer recording and fancy a midi keyboard to record some chord and arpeggio based backing tracks. I'm a complete novice at computer recording but can play the piano a bit. Any recommendations on a basic and cheap (sub-£100) keyboard? I used to have both a Moog and a Roland synthesiser in the 80s and fancy reliving that experience (or most of it), so suggestions for software plug-ins also welcome.

Pointers to on-line or written resources would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kinkin Frets: 1015
    I bought a Roland A49 seems pretty good to me but I am very inexperienced in this area.

It worked with very little messing straight out of the box and feels nice to play.

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    Used Novation Impulse or Nektar, both decent and affordable.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2426
    The Novation semi weighted boards are nice, usually with plenty of controllers, knobs, faders and xy touchpads etc, I have an early Remote 25 (25 key} board and its a breeze to use with patches for loads of vsti plugins.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28508
    edited January 2016
    Sorry to spam a bit, but I have an M-Audio Keystation 49e (ie 49 keys) in the Classifieds that has served me well for some years.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    I was in exactly the same position as you before Xmas and I got bought an M-Audio Keystation 49.  It's well under £100, has 49 full size keys and seems to do the basics.  I'm not a keyboard player and just wanted it to play in chords, drums etc.  The keys aren't weighted but I doubt you'd get that for under a ton.

I did have an M-Audio mini key controller (25 or 32 key) before this thinking that it would be fine but the keys were simply too small and there weren't enough of them to anything more than simple chords.

The Keystation 49 seems to be big enough to use properly yet small enough to tuck away down the side of my desk when I don't need it.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Sporky said:
    Sorry to spam a bit, but I have an M-Audio Keystation 49e (ie 49 keys) in the Classifieds that has served me well for some years.
    Grab this. Nice little workhorse.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Software - a good place to start is to get a copy of Computer Music and install their free software. Its all good enough, and they have some neat synths too, which will get you well on the way to analogue synth nirvana!

Their V Collection has the lot in there, and right now its on offer for $199, RRP is $399. Their MiniV is the emulation of the Minimoog and it is v good.

• kin said:
    I bought a Roland A49 seems pretty good to me but I am very inexperienced in this area.

It worked with very little messing straight out of the box and feels nice to play.

+1
    Great midi controller, simple, nice build and works great. Some others are way too complicated and over-spec'd!
    Fretboard trader feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/65502/
    Basschat trader feedback: http://tinyurl.com/8yevyl6
  • Drew_fx said:
    Sporky said:
    Grab this. Nice little workhorse.
    I've tried loads and for what it is the M-Audio is very hard to beat.

Alternately if you can track one down and intend to use a lot of virtual instrument then the EMU Xboard range is the absolute best around.  By best I don't mean expensive either, they use to be quite cheap but people are catching on and they are no longer made.  I have two and an M-Audio for back up.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.