Idea - data base of UK manufacturers and retailers offering free extended warranties

VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4768
edited December 2015 in Amps
I've put this under 'Amps' but it applies equally for guitars, effects, or any other gear.  When buying gear, especially more expensive stuff, the standard UK 12 month warranty often isn't enough.  

Although by law UK retailers are potentially on the hook for up to 6 years on gear they sell (Sale & Supply of Goods Act) it's much easier to have a 'contractual' protection and many customers will feel more comfortable buying from a retailer offering an extended warranty. Also, some manufacturers offer a free extended warranty if you register the purchase on line - and it can be gutting if your gear fails after the standard 12 months and you didn't know about it!  

So, the idea is for Fretboard community members to contribute to this thread details of any UK music gear retailer or manufacturer they find that offers a free extended warranty, with relevant link details.  Not only could this be helpful generally to the Fretboard community, but it might also encourage other retailers to do the same.  Perhaps this could be made a 'sticky' by the Administrators? 

Of course its important to read the small print, hence why posting the relevant links is helpful.  To get the ball rolling, here are the current free extended warranties over and above 12 months that I'm currently aware of in the UK - but I'm sure there are more!

Laney Amplification
The standard 12 month warranty is extended to 5 years if you register on-line here:

Orange Amplification
The standard 12 month warranty is extended to 2 years if you register on-line here:

DV247
Standard 12 months warranty extended to 3 year warranty (free) and 30 day money back guarantee:

Thomann
Standard 12 months warranty extended to 3 year warranty (free) and 30 day money back guarantee:

Fender
All Fender and Squier guitars and amps sold by an authorised UK dealer are guaranteed for 2 years

Wishing all Fretboarders a very Happy New Year!

Rich 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4768
    Here's a couple more:

MusicInn (Nottingham)
    Free 2 year warranty on all guitars:

RichTone Music
    Roland/Boss gear - free 3, 5 or 10 year warranty (depending on item purchased)

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1640

Having lived through the start of extended warranties I would caution people.....

Any guarantee is useless UNLESS there is a network of service centres and trained staff to fix the stuff in a reasonable time.

I do not want to cast aspersions on the firms thus far mentioned but in the "domestic" service scene there were constant horror stories of a plain white Transit arriving (after much phoning and angst), a guy scooping up the goods, never to be seen for weeks/months and the original company denying all knowledge or responsibility!

Caveat bloody Emptor indeed!

Dave.

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3183
    tFB Trader
    I offer a lifetime warranty on all my new amplifiers (usual exclusions apply), nothing to register/fill in.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• Just to be clear, for good bought after 1st October 2015 protection is via the Consumer Rights Act 2015.  This offers essentially the same protection of the previous Sale of Goods and Service Act but has been extended to include digital sales.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4768
    edited December 2015
    ecc83 said: Having lived through the start of extended warranties I would caution people.....Any guarantee is useless UNLESS there is a network of service centres and trained staff to fix the stuff in a reasonable time. I do not want to cast aspersions on the firms thus far mentioned but in the "domestic" service scene there were constant horror stories of a plain white Transit arriving (after much phoning and angst), a guy scooping up the goods, never to be seen for weeks/months and the original company denying all knowledge or responsibility! Caveat bloody Emptor indeed!Dave.  

Domestic insurances are a little different and were often sold as a free-standing cover with the insurance offered by a company independent to the retailer (eg Domestic & General) where the retailer also got a big commission on selling it - I would not generally recommend buying such an insurance (which is not an extended warranty) simply because of the strength of consumer legislation in the UK.  However, that's up to the consumer - big stores like Currys/PC World still sell extended warranties although I personally would not buy one as I do not consider them necessary or good value.

There is at least one music retailer to my knowledge, Gear 4 Music, that offers an extended warranty that has to be purchased. A potential advantage in that the cover is transferable to a new owner if the item is sold on.  Again, that's an option that is up to the consumer to decide whether it is of value.  

The list I started was intended only to show retailers & manufacturers offering a free extended warranty.  The point is that any retailer offering a free extended warranty is demonstrating confidence in their products and customer services back-up.  Whilst any company can fail it's usually only the bigger stronger outlets that can offer this.  Any retailer or manufacturer that reneges on their extended warranty risks a massive consumer backlash with lost confidence & loss of sales - so whilst there are no absolute guarantees (only death & taxes fit in here!) a free extended warranty gives you some reasonable extra peace of mind.

It's also great that some smaller private bespoke amp/guitar manufacturers give lifetime warranties on what they sell - and here the underlying ethos is likely to be a much more personal customer relationship than with a bigger retailer anyway.