Your musical challenge to yourself for 2016?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
edited January 2016 in Making Music
I have decided that I want to do a cover version of one of my favourite tracks - Breaking the spell by Pendragon. It won't be easy as there are no Tabs or chords that I can find anywhere and I am very poor at trying to figure out stuff like that. Add to that the fact that it is over 9 minutes long and it looks like an improbably task for me. However, that is the plan. If I can just figure out the chords then I should be fairly covered for keyboard and bass parts. Not much that will tax on the lead guitar front other than the fact that I don't have a good ear at all and it will be a lot to write out and memorise.

Got a challenge for yourself?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10720
    ^ awesome and fun project, good luck!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9874
    edited December 2015
    Seeing yourself challenges is the way forward, stuff doesn't just happen you have to have s reason for doing it. I've no idea what the piece you're talking about is but it sounds like you'll learn a heap of new stuff doing it.

I'm aiming to have a five song "ep" of sorts done this year, is like to do say five or six songs, which are coherent in style and a decent representation of what i like, probably 4 originals then one or two covers. I would then like to get it on a CD with artwork as well. Whether I manage it remains to be seen lol

The other challenge we should all set ourselves is to enter the regular Fretboard Challenge competitions!!!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5554
    I would challenge myself to pick up one of my many guitars and actually play the thing!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm planning on getting at least 8 songs written and recorded by summer for a follow up release to my first two creepy/scary instrumental albums.  I've got two songs almost all done and a bunch of ideas.  I've given up on the CD pressing route though, digital release only.  I'm leaning toward horror rather than halloween this time out.  I will try to keep up with the Fretboard Challenges too but time is my biggest challenge. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 509
    To learn music theory, or at least the basics
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    I haven't played my guitars in earnest for a number of months - not since my last band went belly up. So my challenge us to overcome lethargy and get playing again.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460

The other challenge we should all set ourselves is to enter the regular Fretboard Challenge competitions!!!
    I second that! My aim is to graduate from bits of tracks (like the SotM and RotM) to whole songs. (and continue with SotM and RotM too).

I also have a long term aim to cover the entirety of Tommy (the Live At Leeds version).  I think I can just about manage the guitar parts but I've only just got my first bass so playing like Entwhistle might be a touch beyond me, I can't sing like Daltrey, and I can't play drums at all.. So yeah ... a challenge.
  • Complete 2 Prion Son EP's
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    not give it up completely

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2090
    Probably to actually complete a song rather than just loads of intros and verses....

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Travis picking. Proper Travis Picking, not scratching through like at present...
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    My aim this year is to drastically increase the amount of practise I do, and to enter at least one of the forum challenges.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • Start recording again.

I had a pretty shitty 2015 what with tendonitis, tinnitus and a bunch of personal stuff going pear-shaped. Inspiration was very thin on the ground.

Very little has changed but if I don't just get on with it and start getting stuff done, it never will.

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33839
    I'm teaching myself to play drums in odd time sig's.

Such as this: (my transcription)

The idea with this is to take small excerpts of sings that use odd times, and loop them, building up a library of 'words' that I can use to build phrases and then paragraphs.
    Having learned to play guitar pretty well and now progressing drums, I can tell you that drums, is way, way harder.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    To be able to play apoyando as smoothly, evenly and rapidly as I can with a pick. Stupidly high goal but why not go for it?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33839
    mellowsun said:
    To be able to play apoyando as smoothly, evenly and rapidly as I can with a pick. Stupidly high goal but why not go for it?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28674
    To make some good progress with cello - I've lucked out on finding a teacher who's happy for me to soak up cancelled lessons and seems to understand teaching as much as she does the instrument - and to enjoy playing guitar.

Should the opportunity and inspiration occur, I intend to record a few small tracks. I have assorted ideas and part-recordings to work from, just need to flesh them out a bit.

Finally I will maintain my recent success on defocusing on the gear (other than selling what gets little to no use). I have enough stuff, and it is good enough.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Write write write
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27221
    To play guitar every week (unless I'm away from home, at least). And try to play *something* I haven't played before, whether just a different type of noodling from the norm, or a new song, or whatever. I've actually managed it so far. Even plugged into an amp last night, albeit briefly...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    Stop fannying around on the internet and get practising !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom