Mac: Garageband - Apogee Duet Issue

Whilst at my G/f's over Christmas, I thought I'd experiment with Garageband - something I haven't done for quite some time. Dug out my Apogee Duet and hitched it up yesterday.

When using the volume control (F10 and F11) and on the Apogee it boots the Mac out completely to the log-in screen so clearly a conflict somewhere. I've tried G/B on it's own and it seems to work fine....so the suspicion points to a conflict or problem with the Apogee Duet. Both machines are 2011 so out of warranty.

Anyone conversant with the Apogee? - always been bomb proof before although it does live in a flightcase with other related leads etc, so I can't rule out that it hasn't had a knock......although this would be at my own hands. It only travels in the car from home etc.

There's no way I'm opening the case to see - and I suspect I wouldn't have a  clue what I was looking at.

Any experiences.....?

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    If it's a firewire Duet and the latest osx on there the Duet will make you a fabulous new doorstop. I have the same issue so I'm still on the previous osx.
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    @Deijavoo ......that doesn't sound good. I haven't updated to El Capitan specifically to avoid conflicts, but I don't think I've used the Apogee since going onto Yosemite (10.10.5). What OS X are you using?

It would be a stylish doorstop - polished aluminium - though.

Oh, I'm on Yosemite too and can't go past now. For now at least, won't buy Apogee again though. Have you got the latest drivers from their site? Late 2014 if I remember right?
    @Deijavoo Ahhh...that's a thought that I hadn't had......... ;)

I'll have a look.

As far as Apogee is concerned, they are blisteringly expensive IMHO and I see the updated Duet is a Lightning interface (and my MacBook Pro predated that change by a few months and has Firewire. Could be time for a change I fear......

Updated the drivers and now it communicates w/o the previous issue. It does seem that although I can now get audio out, I can't get audio (guitar) in ....so I suspect the breakout cable is a problem. I've emailed Apogee as they are selling refurb breakout cable sets for small money.....although they seem to only ship to the U.S.

Something to concern oneself with between Christmas and New Year's....always a wonderful thing! 

Yeah I really feel for people who bought a firewire Ensemble.
    edited May 2016
    A lesson in persistence and stupidity.........

Ergo, the what I thought to be defunct Apogee Duet 2 Firewire has been brought back from the apparent dead state in which it lingered. Spurred on by recent events (and you know who you are @babysnake !) I did an uninstall / reinstall on my now Yosemite MacBook Pro and y'know, the little beauty worked. Seems it had conflicts over the OS  - I'm sure I was using Snow Leopard when I first got it. Can't go any further on the OS as El Capistan would have me back in the doldrums.

I was almost inspired to go LogicX but I think it's a 'here be dragons' warning and I shall leave well alone.

Chuffed though.