Recommendations for headphones for mixing, £200 budget

2»

Comments

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    I have DT880's and HD650's. They sound quite different. The DT880's are more hifi, the HD650's have a lovely dry top end and a less sucked in midrange. Personally I think the HD650's are miles better for both monitoring and listening to music, although some other (non-musician) people have preferred the 880's. The HD650's also more easily driven (I think 880's come in different impedances though...mine are 250ohm).

The 650's are also amazing for use with vdrums....turned up loud with a good sample library they just sound so natural. The 880's sound a little fizzy in comparison. The other thing I like about the 650's is that they are plastic, so they can't hurt a guitar. The 650's also have pluggable cable, where the 880's have to be soldered.

I got my HD650's from Hirsch + Ille (German hifi shop), and paid £145+shipping+IBAN transfer cost for them a few years ago, I'm not sure if they still sell them? I bought a few pairs with some mates to keep the cost down (The IBAN transfer from my robbing bank was £25 :-()

If Sennheiser ever discontinue them, I'll be buying another pair....I think they are really, really good. I don't know what HD600's are like, but I've also owned HD580's, and there is no comparison...the 650's are miles better. For mixing, they also sound a lot better than the closed back HD25's.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2175
    I wouldn't do it, as I like to use a couple of pairs of monitors, but you CAN mix on headphones. Andrew Scheps recently alluded that since he now does most mixing ITB, he's able to work/mix with a laptop in a hotel room with a pair of headphones.

It's entirely possible. It's not necessarily best practice, and monitors are probably easier to deal with, but if you know your cans, then it's no different from knowing your speakers.

It's not a practice for me though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom