Changing scale length on an archtop

What's Hot
Would it be possible on my archtop to fit a new fretboard with a different scale length?There are several pre made and fretted for sale on eBay and I was hoping as the bridge is a floating one it would be possible to compensate? As is probably very clear I have no real knowledge on the subject.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16914
    As long as its not too far either way it will be fine
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    Cheers @wezv my other worry is that the archtop has a nut which is only used as a string guide. The first fret has the strings sitting on them. Should I use the first fret as the starting point for measuring to the 12th? The archtop only has 20 frets in total so I may have to either cut down the new fretboard or build a small block onto the top to continue from the neck.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6407
    Think you mean a "zero" fret  - yes, start there.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

When I did mine i got rid of the zero fret and didn't pay too much attention  to the existing scale length. I measured  it all, but the original scale didn't match any modern calculations very closely 

The bridge on an archtop should sit between the centres of the f-holes, but in reality you can move it an inch or so either way and it will still be fine, certainly with a ply archtop anyway.  If you were going to move it further you might need to consider where the bracing is

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Ideal Cheers guys
    here is mine before - 

and after

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Very cool @wezv nice hofner too. Is it the Congress?
    yeah, i sold that one on though because I didn't know when i would get around to fixing it up

I still need to attach the plate I made to the framus - cream pearloid to match the headplate