Point me to a Learning Resource

What's Hot
The trouble with not working over xmas is that I invariably find another way of spending money on guitar gear. This year it's getting into computer recording. So I've bought a Komplete Audio 6 interface and have loaded the software that came with it. My son has told me to use Reaper which is what he uses. He demoed it but me being old not much of it sunk in.

So can anybody point me to a good learning resource which will take me from complete novice to a reasonable level and is accessible to someone who is technologically challenged?

Thanks in advance and some trepidation as I have a feeling this is going to get expensive!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Im afraid I don't know of any formal "learning resource" but I would echo your son's comments re. reaper. Its great programme and there are tonnes and tonnes of youtube videos people have done showing you pretty much anything that you need to know.
    How very rock and roll
  • dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    Thanks. Any good websites, books etc or is Youtube my friend?
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    I started on this journey a few months ago too. I think there's learning how to do recording, and learning how to use the chosen recording tool (i.e. Reaper in your case, and mine).

One of the things I found is that a lot of tutorials assume you know something about the general recording techniques and/or terminology being discussed, and are mainly interested in how you achieve this technique in Reaper. Which is of limited help when you don't understand what they're talking about!

For general "so wtf is side-chaining anyway?" type knowledge, I bought the book The Producer's Manual by Paul White. I really enjoyed reading it and it's full of useful info about the basics of recording - and not just with a computer, but how to mic up an amp, or a vocalist etc, plus loads about the producing techniques themselves (mixing, applying fx etc etc).

For Reaper, the main resource is the official Reaper "Up and Running" manual I suppose, but it's a bit of a slog - I mean the info's all there but it's very dry and it does kind of assume you know what you're doing. But there's a ton of videos on Youtube and that's where I go first when I want to understand how to do something.

Hope that helps!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7502
    http://www.lynda.com/REAPER-training-tutorials/1639-0.html

see how much you can get through in the free trial period 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That's really helpful @markv thanks. I'll check out that book and explore YouTube. Then I guess it's dive in and learn as I go
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    Oh - and one more thing I found useful, was something to aim for. i.e. why do the recording anyway?

I found doing the challenges on the Making Music section right here on theFB (Solo of the Month, Riff of the Month etc) a real motivator - there's a deadline to meet for a start - otherwise I honestly think I would have done nothing.
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    Nice one @markv , your experience almost perfectly mirrors mine

So many guides seem to start some distance beyond true beginner level.  

Cheers for posting about the Paul White book.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2086

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • stevebsteveb Frets: 42
    Not sure on reaper specific stuff but i find these places are a great resource. They have great tutorials and a lot of free content.

Therecordingrevoultion.com
    Homestudiocorner.com
    Producelikeapro.com
    Thanks everyone, having a great day exploring my system. Making some progress but much more to do before I have the hang of even the basics
  • richhrichh Frets: 453
    There is an Australian guy called Geoffrey Francis, who has written a number of good Reaper specific books, at different levels.  You should be able to google his name for more info if you are interested, if not let me know and I'll see what info I can dig out.
    Thanks @richh I'll check him out
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2175
    Groove3.com is another.