PSA: 99p Spotify for 3 months

What's Hot
Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
edited January 2016 in Off Topic
Not sure how often this happens but I've just signed up for Spotify premium for 3 months at the ridiculous price of 99p.
Read the T's and C's obviously or you'll end up paying full price if you forget to cancel
Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Yup, I took that offer up too.
  • Deezer also has the same offer so I have both at the minute.. Deezer might have the most tracks but I prefer Spotify as a whole, Dezzer intergrates better with my Lg Music Flow system but then Spotify Connect is genius.. plus Spotify has this..

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    I'm a big fan of Spotify.

The running app is genius. (Not that I run, but it works just as well on the cross trainer).

I know there are "moral" issues with all the streaming services but artists getting some money, is better than artists getting zero money.

(That's the way I justify it to myself, anyway!)
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Seems like a good deal.  It's frustrating when stuff you want to listen to isn't on there though. None of Steven Wilson's solo albums are on there. 
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    I joined spotify when they did this deal last year and ended up keeping the subscription. It is really handy. Frees up loads of space on the phone and I really like the band radio feature
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I had Tidal last year. Great quality, shit selection and buggy application.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I've got it too. Then when it runs out it's switching to 12 months half price.
    My V key is broken
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2105
    edited January 2016
    Bollocks... I subscribed at full price just before this. Meh...
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited June 2017
    https://www.spotify.com/uk/intro/?

99p for 3 months again but only 7 days left 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I've just flipped to Deezer at 3month@99p 

missus is halfway through her 'free' 6 months iMusic thingy with EE. 

Prob try another app when my 3 months is over.......

btw it seems there's a loophole in the app that lets you reset your phone date to say : 1st Jan 1999 and it won't end your 3 month trial till your phone reaches the original end date of the trial for example: 23 June 2017 
    thats over 17 years free music. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 986
    I've just flipped to Deezer at 3month@99p 

missus is halfway through her 'free' 6 months iMusic thingy with EE. 

Prob try another app when my 3 months is over.......

btw it seems there's a loophole in the app that lets you reset your phone date to say : 1st Jan 1999 and it won't end your 3 month trial till your phone reaches the original end date of the trial for example: 23 June 2017 
    thats over 17 years free music. 
     =) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11793
    RobDavies said:

I know there are "moral" issues with all the streaming services but artists getting some money, is better than artists getting zero money.

Streaming is not morally dubious at all, people at the top get fat cheques from Spotify, and at the bottom, money was always made more easily from gigs and loyal fans than recordings.

Even tay tay is on there now.  Spotify is a great value product which creates a revenue stream for musicians, the way it is directly compared to CD sales is daft, its a totally different model possible only because of new tech.

In short, don't let it make you bat as much as an eyelid.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    RobDavies said:

Streaming is not morally dubious at all, people at the top get fat cheques from Spotify, and at the bottom, money was always made more easily from gigs and loyal fans than recordings.

Even tay tay is on there now.  Spotify is a great value product which creates a revenue stream for musicians, the way it is directly compared to CD sales is daft, its a totally different model possible only because of new tech.

The revenue the artist sees is a pittance tho. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    RobDavies said:

Some artists get paid a LOT from streaming, the industry was far from generous with how CD sales worked either.

The issue isn't really how much money Spotify pays to labels, which is over 70% of its revenue, but as it always has been what labels pass onto artists.

The fundamental unfairness of the music business on artists is certainly far from a new thing.  The artist getting some revenue from a clever new business model is a heck of a lot better than none.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6503
    RobDavies said:

If you compare a single song streamed once to a CD sale, maybe, but that's comparing apples to oranges 

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Thanks mate I'm gonna sign up today when I get home from work so I am. 
    I think its such a great service, when someone says "oh you should check out this band" you can whip out your phone and their entire back catalogue is (usually) right there.  Makes it so much easier to sample new music and new genres.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I think its such a great service, when someone says "oh you should check out this band" you can whip out your phone and their entire back catalogue is (usually) right there.  Makes it so much easier to sample new music and new genres.
    I've discovered loads of great new music by listening to the "artist radio" of acts I already know. 
    I just wish the multi user account wasnt so much more than  a single.   (my Netflix multiple user account is only £2 more expensive than a single user)
    Still worth it though. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28431
    If you compare a single song streamed once to a CD sale, maybe, but that's comparing apples to oranges 
    Spotify always compare themselves to radio, and the numbers suggest they're a lot more generous than the radio stations.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    Sporky said:
    Spotify always compare themselves to radio, and the numbers suggest they're a lot more generous than the radio stations.

But this ignores the fact that previously radio was supplemented by album sales, because people wanted to listen whenever they wanted wherever.  Spotify replaces both radio and album purchasing for most people so it has to be seen within the same framework if we're talking about what money the artist makes.