Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's so flipping great about a PRS DGT?

What's Hot

Comments

• Strat_a_tat_tatStrat_a_tat_tat Frets: 2761
    edited January 2016

I've only ever played one... maybe it wasn't one of the great ones... maybe it was.... it's difficult to tell when you've only played one.  On the day, it was fine... but a PRS Custom 22 Special (the model they only made for about a year or so) felt and sounded much better - it was more resonant and, to me, it was a much more versatile instrument (2 humbuckers -with coil taps... and a Fralin single coil in the middle). Can't understand why they discontinued it.

So I bought the Custom 22 Special... and it was my main gigging guitar for a few years.

I'll try a DGT again at some point... if only because of all the hype on this forum! 

;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14310
    tFB Trader

I've only ever played one... maybe it wasn't one of the great ones... maybe it was.... it's difficult to tell when you've only played one.  On the day, it was fine... but a PRS Custom 22 Special (the model they only made for about a year or so) felt and sounded much better - it was more resonant and, to me, it was a much more versatile instrument (2 humbuckers -with coil taps... and a Fralin single coil in the middle). Can't understand why they discontinued it.

So I bought the Custom 22 Special... and it was my main gigging guitar for a few years.

I'll try a DGT again at some point... if only because of all the hype on this forum! 

;)
    As you say, not many of those models about and I like them as well - Custom 22 body so a touch slimmer than a DGT/McCarty chassis, but that middle pick-up ensures some very realistic Strat voices as well as humbucker tones - Different neck profile and humbuckers - as always, each to their own

Ref  'maybe it wasn't one of the great one's - You generally get far less differential between trying 2/3/4 identical PRS models - Yes there is a difference between say a Custom 22 and 24 and different neck profiles, but say trying 2/3/4 maple topped DGT's, they are generally very similar - Very rarely do you find a bad example, like trying 2/3/4 Gibson LP's
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462

Ref  'maybe it wasn't one of the great one's - You generally get far less differential between trying 2/3/4 identical PRS models - Yes there is a difference between say a Custom 22 and 24 and different neck profiles, but say trying 2/3/4 maple topped DGT's, they are generally very similar - Very rarely do you find a bad example, like trying 2/3/4 Gibson LP's
    They do vary though.  When I bought mine (from you at an Olympia show) I got it in a room with 2 that were on the PRS stall.  Myself, my friend, and the guy from the PRS stall all unanimously agreed that it sounded better than the other two.  I would have preferred a goldtop to the tobacco burst but the goldtop didn't sound nearly as good.
  • Well I've got to get involved in here as I own two DGT's.
    They work for me perfectly, comfortable to play. I love 11s with the big frets. Just a great quality modern take on a vintage guitar.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16119
    Great guitar BUT if you havn't tried the Brent Mason which is a bolt on you don't know what you're missing -fantastic sounding guitar ......................such a shame seeing them heavily discounted as that must indicate a lack of love in the european market ...........probably because outside of the US and Nashville scene there isn't much awareness of the man himself ............bet if it was called the Eric Clapton it would be a big seller ...............incidentally ,the Brent Mason really can sound like a strat albeit a more modern one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OK I'm out!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14310
    tFB Trader
    They do vary though.  When I bought mine (from you at an Olympia show) I got it in a room with 2 that were on the PRS stall.  Myself, my friend, and the guy from the PRS stall all unanimously agreed that it sounded better than the other two.  I would have preferred a goldtop to the tobacco burst but the goldtop didn't sound nearly as good.

Do you still have it Crunchman - a few years ago now since we did those shows - I think my point was more that you don't find a bad one, but sometimes you may still find a star - glad you went your hands and ears to buy it and not your eyes
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340

There is a series of videos on youtube of DG playing each of the 20 of the Private Stock Limited wildwood DG(no T) and giving a commentary on each one, the difference is noticeable.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=PRS+Private+Stock+Limited+Wildwood+David+Grissom 

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    It's a PRS innit.

Not as good as a Studio. For realsies
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23009
    Zodiac51 said:

There is a series of videos on youtube of DG playing each of the 20 of the Private Stock Limited wildwood DG(no T) and giving a commentary on each one, the difference is noticeable.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=PRS+Private+Stock+Limited+Wildwood+David+Grissom 

Oooh, hardtails!  :)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462

Do you still have it Crunchman - a few years ago now since we did those shows - I think my point was more that you don't find a bad one, but sometimes you may still find a star - glad you went your hands and ears to buy it and not your eyes
    I ended up selling it.  I've sold all my PRS guitars now.  That was the last to go though.
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Only PRS I ever played was a studio. It looked, felt and sounded like a dream. Are they not 'popular'? How does their versatility compare to the DGT?
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    edited January 2016
    close2u;924503" said:
    Only PRS I ever played was a studio.

It looked, felt and sounded like a dream.

Are they not 'popular'? How does their versatility compare to the DGT?
    Can't compare to a DGT having not played one, but Studios are very versatile. The narrowfields are genius pickups. Fat at full volume but clean up to credible single coil sounds. I love mine.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Best two guitars I own, I also have a Tyler Burning Water, Fender CS HBS-1 relic, Suhr Classic T (trem and HSS) and a Gibson CS336. Also owned many other Suhr's (modern, custom standard, S3), Gibson's (10 x Les Pauls) other PRS (Santana II, Singlecut Trem, CU22, McCarty, McCarty Archtop), many strats teles and all kinds of other stuff and the DGT's are THE best guitars for me.

Perfect neck carve for my hands, great sounding pups that clean up well but sound so full and rounded, love the massive sound of the 11 gauge strings, comfy to strap on and play, so many tonal variations and looks great.

Is it a Les Paul ? nope but gets close to a vintage LP tone IMO, is it a tele ? again close, plenty of spank on the bridge pup split,is it a strat ? nope not at all .... BUT it is a DGT and I love it.
    #thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5175
    edited February 2020
    Yes I know this thread is 4 years old.... but I’ve just become a member of the DGT appreciation society. I was really doubting I’d ever own a PRS again after buying a piss poor 513, but I took the plunge with a standard DGT with no maple cap and no flashy binding. 
    The comments in this thread are spot on... versatile, Rock, Blues, Clean, Country, Funk styles brilliantly. I doubt I’ll buy another guitar this year it’s that good....I would prefer the neck and bridge volume pots reversed so the neck volume is nearer the front, but that’s easy to do....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I played the electric parts on this with mine - love it. (This is an unfinished demo - the vocals are missing) 
    https://soundcloud.com/paul-willocks/is-this-the-way-cubase-010220-78bpm/s-qmT0I
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    crunchman said:

When I bought my Mira the guy at PMT in Southend was most insistent that having tried (and very much liked) one I should try the other they had in stock - I did and I’m very glad I did because while I’m not sure I'd say it was actually “better” something about it definitely clicked with me in a way that the first one didn’t, and I don’t think it was just that it was a more exuberant colour...

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 906
    For me they are most vintage feeling PRS, the neck shapes feel like mid sixties tele or 335 and the pickups sound somewhere between those respective guitars without trying to hard to be something they aren’t . They are just nice, sorted, great playing guitars. 
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1653
    I’ve got one. Plays effortlessly, the build quality is fantastic, lightweight and sounds awesome.

I’m more of the school of thought where I like it if it sounds good. I don’t really care if the single coils don’t sound exactly like a strat or if it doesn’t nail a LP. The coil split sounds are excellent in their own right, the pickups clean up well and with a bit of gain it sounds sublime. 

If I wanted to sound like I was playing a LP or a strat I’d just use one of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
    edited February 2020
    I had a nice one, sounded good but in the end I moved it on. I can't play guitars with a trem anymore unless it can be screwed down like a Strat. I hate wobbly bridges under your palm. I wasn't enamoured by the single coil sounds.

Also, I don't think I can own a shiny new finish guitar with a glossy neck anymore, it has to be aged or reliced and I don't want any more push/pull coil split malarkey.