Roland JC40 distortion with The Cleanness...

What's Hot
While tweaking around with my Jazz Chorus, I tried something. Had the amp set with bass, mid and treble all at around 12 noon to 1. I then dialled the distortion to around 2...

I know, bear with me...

I then plugged the guitar into a Dr Scientist Cleanness then that straight to the front of the amp. On the Cleanness, I cranked the Low and Mid EQ dials on it and left the Hi at around 1 o'clock, turned the gain & mix knobs all the way up and left the volume at noon. Then master to 9 o'clock...

And...well I was shocked. It sounded great. Really great. I had a usable distortion (well almost a fuzz) on my JC. The Cleanness filled out the thin gain channel so well, good note definition and great fuzzy sustain.

I was shocked. Either Ryan at Dr Scientist is a genius or all that the JC's distortion needs to make it usable is a good EQ pedal....so both.

A revelation. Might need that Roland footswitch for the dirty channel after all!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

•   have you got around the fuzz search by using this now?

or has it shafted your normal sound?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2220
    edited January 2016
    @meltedfuzzbox I don't think anyone stops searching for fuzz, but I definitely like this option, and I could disengage the cranked low/mids Cleanness at the same time as the amp distortion (via footswitch) and maybe invest in a separate EQ/boost for my cleans?
  • @BintyWanger69 spell my name right :-P
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @meltedbuzzbox ARSE BISCUITS! Sorry, mate, fuzz on the brain.
  • @meltedfuzzbox I've twatted around some more, and for my taste, my Rat still rules the roost. With the Cleanness's Lo dial cranked up and with a bit of tweaking I could even get a Muff-like tone (played Pumpkins - Quiet, and got an identical tone from my JC).

Now: would it be mad to have a 2nd Rat on the board for more, well, Ratty tones and leave the other in "Muff mode"?

As The Cleanness does such fantastic things to my Rat, maybe for overall sparkle to add to my clean tone/the whole chain, a boost (e.g. an Xotic EP) or an optical comp at the beginning of the chain? As goes the latter, I'm not sure what either such pedal would do to a solid state amp like a JC 40.

Yes, I'm going mental, maybe, but it is all about the tone and this is The FB after all...
  • @OldBintBanger69 there is a Deuce tone rat. Its 6 rats in a box with 2 switches so you can pick between a Rat/Turbo/Dirty and have 2 presets. 

or get a mooer black secret or whatever its called.

Or even a Rat
    Lots of choices. 

(Im not really a tone chaser, its too pricey and not as important as playing/writing to me)
  • @beltedbuttfox I'm going to start looking for a Whiteface reissue Rat, or just another stock Rat 2, I did do a search for Deucetone Rats and they're hard to find in the UK.

I see where you're coming from, you can chase the perfect tone all of your life, I suppose, and neglect your playing.