Why do Fenders sound crap cranked?

What's Hot
FatfingersFatfingers Frets: 500
I just tried my newly overhauled 1976 Pro Reverb. Sounds lovely - great bluesy sound. But when I tried it with my Airbrake attenuator, and cranked the master to 10, even with only mild attenuation, it sounds awful. Really fuzzy and muddy.

So my question is, bearing in mind how similar old Marshalls are to old Fenders, and bearing in mind how brilliant they sound when cranked, why do Fenders sound so shit?

The only obvious physical difference is the very small output transformer. This is 45watt amp. A Marshall JTM 45 has a much bigger OT. Is this this anything to do with it?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2467
    Sounds like your amp doesn't like the attenuator. Fenders sound lovely cranked (although master on 10 might be a bit high).

Also, is it an Ultralinear one? in which case I'm not sure what you'll gain by cranking it.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9856
    edited January 2016
    I prefer the sound of a fender cranked to a Marshall cranked
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24844
    Fenders have - for want of a better description - a wider bandwidth; they have a lot of bass and a lot of treble, while Marshalls tend to be more mid-focused. Put simply, more middly amps tend to sound more musical when driven - Fenders can get a bit farty/ragged.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Nothing wrong with the sound of a cranked Princeton or Deluxe Reverb or even a Twin if you can stand the volume.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72550
    I just tried my newly overhauled 1976 Pro Reverb. Sounds lovely - great bluesy sound. But when I tried it with my Airbrake attenuator, and cranked the master to 10, even with only mild attenuation, it sounds awful. Really fuzzy and muddy.

So my question is, bearing in mind how similar old Marshalls are to old Fenders, and bearing in mind how brilliant they sound when cranked, why do Fenders sound so shit?

The only obvious physical difference is the very small output transformer. This is 45watt amp. A Marshall JTM 45 has a much bigger OT. Is this this anything to do with it?
    The Airbrake isn't a good attenuator for Fenders, especially not 4-ohm ones and Ultra-Linear ones even more so - it's purely resistive and the impedance is too high. A 4-ohm Hotplate would be better. The Airbrake is much better with amps like Voxes which need a higher impedance and have no negative feedback (NFB).

Even if it's not an Ultra-Linear model (a '76 could be either), SF Fenders have a lot of negative feedback and a couple of other characteristics which makes them a bit harsh and fuzzy when they do into overdrive.

Interestingly, they are one of the few amps where it is pure power-valve overdrive you're getting. That classic rock crunch overdrive is actually more typical of phase inverter and tone stack driver distortion, contrary to what the 'non-MV amps use power valve distortion' myth says. Usually it's a mix of both.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cranked or 'cranked?' Ive never known anything sound amazing on 10, but a proper AC30, deluxe, Bluesbreaker etc on 7 or so all sound heaven. 
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3834
    A cranked deluxe reverb with a Les Paul sounds great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3834
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    cranked or 'cranked?' Ive never known anything sound amazing on 10, but a proper AC30, deluxe, Bluesbreaker etc on 7 or so all sound heaven. 
    I'm sorry but i have to disagree both my Swart and Z-wreck sound at their absolute best when pushed up to 11
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30941
    Fenders dislike attenuation more than any other mainstream brand. They just don't like. Nor do Hiwatts- who HATE attenuators.

ICBM is also right re the inherent UL thing- they are meant to sound the same, however weren't UL PR's 70w not 40w? Can't recall.

All you need to do is add a TS9. Then crank it.

Maybe layer a few bits of input signal out by using a good comp and just using an eq to take a few dB out.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    cranked or 'cranked?' Ive never known anything sound amazing on 10, but a proper AC30, deluxe, Bluesbreaker etc on 7 or so all sound heaven. 
    Yeah, a lot of amps seem to sound best at about 7 - 8 and beyond that get flubby or woolly or fizzy or whatever (which is how some folks like 'em, admittedly). Heard a 70s Traynor recently that sounded great at 3/4 power and like a wet fart beyond that.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Loobs said:
    Or a DGT :) ;)
    #thebatesmotelband
    Having seen the other thread now, it's not an Ultra-Linear model.

They still don't sound good cranked up into a purely resistive attenuator of the wrong impedance though - it's not so much that they don't like attenuation, just that they don't like being loaded like that. Some amps work *much* better with some attenuators than others, just like some amps work much better with some pedals than others. Don't assume they're all the same.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• It sounds sweet with the MV on three or four, and I don't need it to sound great when flat out, I'm just interested in the difference between it and a Marshall or similar. My JCM 800 sounded bloody marvellous flat out with the Airbrake.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    SRV sounded really rather marvolous with a cranked Fender amp. Not really fair though as he'd have sounded brilliant on a moderately loud line 6.

As has been said it's the atenuation that is making things sound a little ropey.
  • Try a (nearly) cranked Tweed Deluxe and you may change your opinion. They sound spectacular.

At full volume you get a nice fuzz tone too (listen to Cortez the Killer).
    raulduke said:
    Try a (nearly) cranked Tweed Deluxe and you may change your opinion. They sound spectacular.

At full volume you get a nice fuzz tone too (listen to Cortez the Killer).
    Strictly speaking that's not a cranked Tweed Deluxe though - it's a Tweed Deluxe fitted with 6L6s, fitted with a line-out socket and run into at least a couple of bigger amps, including (possibly at different times, I can't remember) a Magnatone and a huge solid-state Baldwin.

It's also not everyone's idea of a great cranked tone, I have to admit - a lot of people do find it both harsh and farty. (I love it though.)

• True, although that is for his live work, in the studio he just records just the straight (though 6L6) Tweed Deluxe.

I know what you mean though. I love my Deluxe, but it might be an acquired taste.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    It sounds sweet with the MV on three or four, and I don't need it to sound great when flat out, I'm just interested in the difference between it and a Marshall or similar. My JCM 800 sounded bloody marvellous flat out with the Airbrake.

a jcm800 has a very tight, bright preamp so with the amp cranked the power section doesn't really have anything to flub out on, it's the low frequencies overloading the power section that quite often make loud amps fart out and sound bad.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I have a story that I may have posted here about I'm not sure.

I Jamed with a band not too long ago and for some unknown reason they wanted me to be louder. I say an unknown reason because my J20 is friggin loud cranked and have never needed to do that before but they insisted thinking the band's guitarist's 30 watt amp was louder than mine (fool). Although my amp was compressing it was still articulate so I would say I love fender based amps cranked. I won't be doing that too many times though as I value my ears ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/