ballpark sum for fret dress?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788
    grungebob said:
    It's the westone Prestige Cutlass after giving it a clean and tried the setup I wouldn't want to sell it in its present state. Once I've bought the Amp I need at the we I'll know what funds are left and look into it more and let you guys know. @Paul_c what's your location please?
    I'm in Northampton.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    Grungebob; you're in North Lincolnshire right? I know a guy in Scunthorpe who does a good fret dress/ set up for around £50
  • Hymnal.  I could do with that contact as well.  I now live in Nottingham after 24 years moving around with the forces, and my "hometown" (ie where I was born and where my parents live) is Scunthorpe.  I need a good, and decently priced tech for fret dresses.  (£80 is decent too, but Ive paid over £120 before now in certain parts of the country).

• Hymnal.  I could do with that contact as well.  I now live in Nottingham after 24 years moving around with the forces, and my "hometown" (ie where I was born and where my parents live) is Scunthorpe.  I need a good, and decently priced tech for fret dresses.  (£80 is decent too, but Ive paid over £120 before now in certain parts of the country).

I'm firmly of the belief that you can't rush a good fret job - no matter how much experience you have. 

I mean you could do something adequate in relatively little time, but if you want a fancypants, dead level job then it will take as long as it takes. 

Prices should reflect that, suppose it comes down to how well you trust your tech. 

• xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    I completely echo that, I haven't had a fret dress from him but i've never heard a bad word about his work and his prices are very reasonable. Without sounding too cliche I do also find prices to be cheaper in the north than down south. My tech in leeds is exceptional and he is very very reasonable. 
  • I agree about time as well, but prices can be high.  That £120 job was some 8 years ago as well.   My last tech while I was in Belfast was fantastic (having been a tech in London for years, makes his own guitars, tech'd for some top names in his time) and he charged £40.  He would do a full re-frett for the same £120 a dress cost me previously.

• I've had 2 guitars done in the last year by Ged Green in Cheadle, both had full set ups and fret dress and were £60.  Both came back playing excellent.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    paulmapp8306;99028" said:
    I agree about time as well, but prices can be high.  That £120 job was some 8 years ago as well.   My last tech while I was in Belfast was fantastic (having been a tech in London for years, makes his own guitars, tech'd for some top names in his time) and he charged £40.  He would do a full re-frett for the same £120 a dress cost me previously.
    Pete Griffen?