Phew! (computer content)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    @ICBM that is truly rank that amp and I have seen a few in pub installations I was involved in over the years.

Gross.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurq said:
    LOLz

Yeah the K6 and PC Chips combo was a frigging disaster especially as the jumpers for setting the clock speed multipliers were wrong. So inadvertent overclocking equaled PC death very soon, mind you other cheapie mobos of the time suffered this too.

Cyrix were indeed hateful little things but at least they had the good grace not to die a hot death and nearly cause fires.

Today we have cheapie Asrock mobos to fill that hilarious void.
    In fairness, I've never known an Asrock motherboard to have any problems at all - in fact, I've only ever heard good things about them.

I do know a part of that is that chipset quality is far, far higher these days though.
    <space for hire>
    I suppose they may have improved because it has been a few years since I had to use them and my twat of a boss insisted on the extreme low end of the Asrock range too so may be a factor.

We had loads of failed boards DOA and a short time after and always before the warranty which really pissed the boss off, ha fucking ha. He was a shark and a crook so deserves any and all bad karma.
  • johnnyurq said:
    I suppose they may have improved because it has been a few years since I had to use them and my twat of a boss insisted on the extreme low end of the Asrock range too so may be a factor.

We had loads of failed boards DOA and a short time after and always before the warranty which really pissed the boss off, ha fucking ha. He was a shark and a crook so deserves any and all bad karma.
    You might've just had a bad batch - in any case, the PC Chips boards had far worse problems than just ceasing to function. Even when they did deign to function correctly, performance would often be up to 25% lower than using the same hardware on a similar board from Asus or Gigabyte. Assuming, of course, that you could even get the drivers to install...
    <space for hire>
    Absolutely PC Chips are the devil's spunk and deserve killing with fire. They owe me days of my life back.

Re the Asrock sadly I had hoped it was the case for the first batch but it continued for a while, so maybe an epic bad batch like yonder Indian hard drive company, their name escapes me at the moment.