Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone up for a Fat Old B'tards 'shaping up' January/February support group?

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Yeah not done too much, eating is pretty healthy though. Need to pull my finger out!

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited February 2016
    Deb takes 2 sugars in coffee.

On a day off she drinks around 20 cups and on a work day she drinks around 10.

We added it all up yesterday using scales.

20 cups is 40 tea spoons PER DAY.

230g PER DAY

10 cups is 20 tea spoons PER DAY

115g PER DAY

4 x days off and 3 x work days = 1,265g PER WEEK.

The important thing to remember is that this is before she has any chocolate, cake and obvious sugars but it's also before she consummes any hidden sugars, which are everywhere.

Over a Kilo of sugar a week just in coffee !

As of yesterday she drinks Tea with no sugar.
    I also gave up coffee last October which always would have had one sugar in it and when i was truck driver i would have drunk way more coffee than deb did + energy drinks which are loaded with it + alcohol...........................

Reduce your sugar intake drastically or you are literally wasting your time running, training or doing anything else. It won't matter, all you are doing is getting knackered because whatever you do burn off will pale next to what you put on,

Just Through Excess Sugar.

One Mars bar is as harmful to weight gain as a full English breakfast so watching fat intake is nowhere near as important as sugar. It's not about your actual diet, ok it is to a point but don't think that Fat is the big nasty enemy, it's harmful in large amounts but the body can deal with that much better than it can with excess sugar.

When we measured out and poured out just ONE DAY of sugar for deb's coffee it filled a large dinner plate and was around 10-15mm deep.

She was shocked into giving up coffee right there and then.
    She will lose a lot each month now and when she gets back down her ideal weight, the weight loss will slow down because her diet is normal and balanced but she's gained weight and couldn't work out how. Now she knows and now she is getting healthy.

Hope this helps and please do ask any questions. We will try to help.

The only other advice i have is do NOT check weight weekly, do it fortnightly.

If you only see tiny improvements it's really difficult to make yourself keep being good - the brain ends up saying "What's the point".
    Of course there is a point but it's so much easier to give up and dive into chocolate or whatever.

Measuring weight every 2 weeks gives you something more to look forward to, more work to do in between and much more impact when you see results.

It's not worth giving up, keep trying and when you get right onto this sugar thing you will see how easy it is to shed the weight and how relatively quickly it happens.

Do this really thoroughly and you should see at least half a stone come off each month. It's THAT effective.
    Just been for a run, first one in a few years, used to be really into it-7-8 miles a day 6 days a week without fail. I managed 13.50 minutes covering a whopping 1.3 miles, I'm fucked! It's a bit of a wake up call, at 34 I should be able to run more than that and not feel like this....I should be back to some kind of fitness in a couple weeks though. Doing it more for fitness than weight loss but it will encourage me to eat better and smoke less from what I remember.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11486
    I've lost around 4lbs so far.  Still need to lose at least another 10.  That's by eating sensibly though.  I've got to do some decent exercise to get fit.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    After January's abysmal failure to abstain, Mrs C and I started last week. Neither of us have had a drink for seven days (no doubt Diageo shares have taken a bit of a dive). Still, we're on the conveyor belt to weight loss, and hoping to stand firm.

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 628
    I had lost 10 pounds since Jan 1st  but put a couple on last week after a week in bed with a nasty chest infection and a mass of steroids.

What really helped was that I bought a Vivo Fit to join the hoards and paired with My Fitness Pal App (no affiliation to either!) it`s working really well for me and has made me realise the minor margins of good and bad.

Oh and weirdly I`ve still only had under 10 pints of beer this year, I`m sure it`s all connected somehow.

• After may faulty start in January I'm now just over two weeks into things. I didn't weigh myself at the start of Feb as I didn't want to know how much I'd pit on in January but I'm now 4lb lighter than I was at the start of of the year. It feels like it's going to be a long haul to my ideal weight but as long as I keep the exercise up it shouldn't be too hard - I find my fitness level to be a better motivator than the scales. If I can maintain losses of 1lb a week I should be there by July (ish).

On the exercise front - I've changed things around a bit. I got the Lean in 15 book a few weeks ago ( I think the diet site of the book is garbage if you have a substantial amount of weight to lose but that's not the point here) and fancied a go at the HIIT workouts as I've been through P90 so often that it's got boring.

I alternate between a cardio routine and a resistance routine and the cardio workout is tough. It's getting easier now but I'm still wiped out by the end of it.

The good news is I can tell its getting lighter in the mornings now. It's still a good few weeks off but it should soon be light enough to go running before work (pot holes and no street lights make running in the dark a dangerous game!).
    Tone71 said:
    I had lost 10 pounds since Jan 1st  but put a couple on last week after a week in bed with a nasty chest infection and a mass of steroids.

What really helped was that I bought a Vivo Fit to join the hoards and paired with My Fitness Pal App (no affiliation to either!) it`s working really well for me and has made me realise the minor margins of good and bad.

Oh and weirdly I`ve still only had under 10 pints of beer this year, I`m sure it`s all connected somehow.

Funnily enough, I've had the same. My mum's got pneumonia, and I reckon I've caught it off her.

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 628
    edited February 2016
    Tone71 said:

Funnily enough, I've had the same. My mum's got pneumonia, and I reckon I've caught it off her.

Really nasty, I feel your pain. 10 days of antibiotics and steroids that finished yesterday and finally feeling ok
    edited February 2016

Had a telephone consultation with this month's model of GP that I've yet to meet, during which he diagnosed a chest infection of some description. As it was the first time I've had any contact with him, he was obviously trying to make an impression by telling me some of my past medical history, at least that's what I thought he was saying, because it sounded to me like he'd just got off a boat from China, and I was struggling to understand what the fuck he was rabbiting on about.

Anyway, I finally managed to glean that there would be a prescription form for anti-biotics waiting for me to pick up at the surgery, and I could have it dispensed at the internal pharmacy there.

Knowing how utterly incompentent they are, I decided to phone up to confirm that said prescription was actually in existence. Following the usual battle with the automated telephone system during which I was informed that if I wanted to know anything about my prescription, I'd better call between 9 and 12. As it was 4pm, the recorded voice then assumed that was the end of the matter, and simply hung up. I called back, using the stealth tactic of wanting to speak to an actual person, and finally succeeded in pressing the correct combination of buttons to speak to a human being.

'Your prescription is here', growled the miserable old Scottish hag, so I told her I'd be be straight round to pick it up. I get to the desk, ask her where it is, and guess what? She can't find it, despite a thorough search of her desk area. She then looks at her PC screen and tells me the pharmacy has it.

So off I went to the pharmacy, who denied all knowledge of having it. I went back to reception to confront the hag, who took off in a huff, saying she was having to go upstairs. She was clearly on her way up to the office to give some poor fucker a good tongue-lashing.

5 minutes later, she reappears, sits back down, checks her PC screen again, and tells me the prescription is definitely now in the pharmacy, so off I went again. It took another 10 minutes persuading the pharmacy that it was definitely there before they finally found it.

And the astonishing thing about all this cobblers? It was the first time I've been in there when the fucking place was empty of patients, eastern euros included, so they had no fucking excuse whatsoever.

Twats.

Legs are aching today...back on it tomorrow.