Drum Machine (doesn't have to sound like a real kit!)

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
It's been answered, more or less, on old threads, but my question might be another angle.

Looking for a cheap drum machine that might be a nod to some of the old shoegaze bands. (a few who used drum machines from what I recall)

I'd be looking at using it live with possibly just me on a guitar or as a trio, so kind of lo fi in a way.

It wouldn't have to sound like an acoustic kit.

I have used imaschine on the iphone, and it's ok, but wouldn't mind a standalone box. 

I guess if you stuck it through a pedal or used some effects, you could get a semi industrial type sound?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 509
    Korg beat boy?
  • Not familiar with it.

I've read that the Alesis SR-16 was a favourite way back when.

There's an SR-18 which you'd see cheap enough used.
  • Sr 16 was a great machine but suffered from not being GM ie you couldn't play a midifile straight into it and the sounds line up, made programming from Cubase ect a pain. But easy to use and of its time. Drum sounds sound dated but thats what you want!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Yeah, I think I'd like something that sounds like a drum machine if you get me. 
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    The Korg Volca Beats would suit your needs pretty well
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moss said:
    The Korg Volca Beats would suit your needs pretty well

One of these for sale near me, though most of the demos seem to be heavily geared towards dance/dj stuff, but I suppose that's the joy of it, making it do something else.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Unrelated, but for a bit of drum machine fun - http://www.html5drummachine.com/
    Stop crying, start buying
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3045
    I have a TR-707 in good condition. R.
  • erky32erky32 Frets: 49
    Alesis SR16 ...dated & too complicated, sounds too electronic, go for a Korg Rhythm KR Mini cheap at £50 simple and decent sound for a grab & go drum machine .....can use small with batteries, thru own speaker - or run into amp (especially a sub-woofer - ideal!) and add control pedals. They work well - I had one, only sold it to upgrade and try a Digitech Trio, but finally settled for a BeatBuddy, --pricey but brilliant sound & control!
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I used to have a zoom rt123 which could suit. The yeah yeah yeahs use it on maps for the keyboard sound.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28392
    I've read that the Alesis SR-16 was a favourite way back when.
    Yup - at least two bands I was in used an SR-16, either always or just when a drummer wasn't available. It is certainly of that era, and I suspect you'll recognise the sounds. Definitely sounds like a drum machine - not an awful one, but no-one will think it's a real drummer.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • I've got an old Boss Dr Rhythm DR550 lying around somewhere, very 80s if you want to buy it off me?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10418

The good thing about the SR16 was you could tap the tempo and then start and stop the beat from a footswitch. You could also get it to do drum fills at appropriate moments with a footswitch. 

Sound-wise it's very 2nd part of the eighties, as in over produced drums with verb and gates rather than the really electronic Linn machines from earlier. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I've got an old Boss Dr Rhythm DR550 lying around somewhere, very 80s if you want to buy it off me?
    I'll check out a demo and get back to you! Althought I'd imagine they all do the same thing...
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 717
    edited January 2016
    I have a Roland R8 I picked up for peanuts. Sounds great, but I still haven't made it do anything useful - the general consensus is that it's "hard to use". I can't disprove that statement at this point.

I did use someone's properly old Roland CR-78 drum machine - it sounded like an 80's Argos keyboard preset, but had a start stop switch, and a "fill" button. It was amazing though - the chap also had some organ pedals and was a one man band.

All about the performer ...

I did have a point, but I've rambled ...
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    My vote is with the SR.-18. We use two of them in one of the bands I play in. They have some good standard acoustic kit and percussion sounds (which I use a lot), plus a load of hip hop electronica sounds too (which I don't use, I'm a but of a traditionalist).
  • Yeah, I've seen a few of those SR-18s for sale used as well.
  • I love the SR16, I think drum sounds are not as bad as some would say, bearing in mind you have about 50 snare sounds, and 50 bass drum sounds, that you can detune and some are quite natural. Very rare that you cannot get the sound that you want, plus for live work it's unbeatable.
  • hmm, any major differences between the SR16 and SR18?
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    I think the SR18 has a bigger, better sound library than the 16. The 18 was brought out as the replacement for the 16.  Apart from that I don't really know what the differences are.  Incidentally I got an 18 after seeing A duo called Tir Na Nog.  They are a couple of Irish guys that do music that is psychedelic prog folk.  They have an acoustic basis but augmented by various bits of electronics.  They've been plying their trade since the 60s.  They use an SR-16.  I provided some lights for a local gig that they did and was really impressed with the drum machine. When we needed a machine I just got in touch with them and asked what they use.  After reading a few Internet reviews we decided to go for the later SR18.