Crackly pots

Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
I've just bought an old Solid State Ampeg combo for throwing in the car and taking to jams. It actually sounds really cool, am rather taken by it, but it has a crackly volume pot.

Is this something I can rectify myself with contact cleaner or do I need to get a tech to take a look at it? I literally have no experience with amp maintenance.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• derndern Frets: 357
    If you can get to the back of the pot and there are holes in the pot body then you can try to flush out the inside of the pot with contact cleaner with one of those narrow tubes they tend to be supplied with. Make sure the amp has been off for a while and make sure that the contact cleaner has largely evaporated before you turn it back on.

I've done this with some success on amps but on one occasion it refused to get any better and I needed to replace the pot which is pretty painless depending on access.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2470
    Servisol Super 10 is what you want. Spray a bit into the pot and turn it through the full range about 20 times, then leave it to evaporate. 
    If that doesn't work then you can try WD40 but this is really only a holding measure and you should get the pot replaced.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    Cheers fellas. How long does it take to evaporate and can I get contact cleaner/servisol Super 10 form Maplins?
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2470
    Yes, Maplin stock it LINK
    Not long, around a minute or two.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    Also halford stock it too. You're just looking for something non-corrosive to wash through the pot and remove any particles of dust and bit of carbon worn from the track and then evaporate. I wouldn't use wd40 though as it's light oil so will leave oil in the pot which will just trap more junk in there... having said that it'll make the pot really easy to turn though ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72786
    Servisol first. You don't have to wait, just cycle the pot back and forth a few times. As long as it takes you to power up the amp again and try it is plenty.

If that fails, try again.

If *that* fails, use WD-40. It does work well and often fixes the pot permanently - or as near as makes little difference. But don't use it until you've tried contact cleaner.

If that fails, replace the pot.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Sometimes a few vigorous twists can clear up crackly pots, if not, Servisol should sort it out. It dries very quickly so I shouldn't imagine you'll blow yourself up (too badly). 
    Interesting to hear about wd40, goes against all I thought and I stand corrected. I'll give that ago before swapping the pot out next time contact cleaner doesn't work. Thanks @strtdv and @ICBM