Anyone tried a Hiawatt Custom 20?

strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
edited January 2016 in Amps
One has appeared locally with the guy interested in trades.
It's 20 watts 2xEL84 (sold as class A but obviously not if it really is 20 watts), 3x12AX7

It's obviously Music Ground era, but from what I've seen of the internals looks very well built.

I'm also wondering how easy these are to sell on if I decide it's not for me in a few months.
Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    My only experience was with one of the earlier Audio Brothers Custom 20's.  That was a seriously, seriously good amp, and to this day, I can barely comprehend that I sold it...utterly bomb proof, and a work of art internally.  I think it put out nearer 13 watts, or thereabouts.  I owned it for the best part of 8-10 years, and made money on it when I sold it on, so can't grumble, really.

No idea how the Music Ground ones stack up.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    @gassage and @meltedbuzzbox are the guys to ask normally here...
  • It's a tricky one because I've often fancied one and having a Hiwatt Custom SS212 I have always assumed it was probably like the 20 watt side of that.  That said on the Hiwatt Facebook group page, where there is predictable a lot of drooling over various Watts (plus a bit of trolling from Justin Harrison) a guy posted a review of one the other week saying it was shocking.  I don't know whether it was a bad example as MG era models do vary but I wouldn't necessarily let the brand name sway you.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • I have the 50 watt SA212. Its one of the later ones made by satan or whatever they are called (music ground)??
    I personally adore it and think its the best amp I have heard for brilliant cleans and really adding something to the pedalboard. 

I cant comment on the 20 watt version first hand but I know the prices do fluctuate wildy. 

Feel free to PM me about money and I can offer my opinion, what I paid for mine etc...
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.