AMT Electronics F-1 preamp pedal

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    (Tonal differences are way more obvious in the room - seems to be a bit of a boost in the low-mids, around 100-150hz I reckon)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Odd that it changes the tone...I have noticed that these pedals put a bit of emphasis on the low end, but mine doesn't work the same way as the F-1. I assumed that the channel loop would just be a straight-through kind of thing.
    <space for hire>
    According to the schematic it gets mixed into the circuit somewhere along the way. Guess it would have to really, coz you need both preamps to hit the FX loop return; ie... two amps coming out of one output.
  • Couldn't you use this http://www.brightonion.co.uk/dual-ab-looper/ and go:

Guitar> Front end FX > Input Looper

Loop A - Clean  Loop A Send > Clean Pedals > Clean Amp Modeller > Loop A Return
    Loop B - Dirty   Loop B Send > Dirty Pedals > Input EVH > FX Send EVH > Noise Gate > Loop B Return

Output Looper > FX Return EVH

Would that work?
    Yah something like that would probably work Chris. As long as you're sending the amp signal back into the return *somewhere* along the line, then switching between the two shouldn't be a problem.

The tonal variation can be dialed out I think, by adjusting the amp EQ to compensate. It isn't 100% exact, but close enough. It sounds good. So now trying to decide whether to keep this rig or explore another alternative.
  • Do you need midi? If so, it's a slightly limiting factor... But it can be so useful.

I can think of a couple of 3 channel, midi amps. Laney tt100, maybe? The problem is, they won't sound like a 5150. Not even close. Nice in their own right, though. I think Engl have some, but they might be many many pounds.

Have you considered a separate amp just for cleans? I know Tremonti uses a two rock, two triple recs and a Bognor uberschall for drive, but always 2 fender twins in stereo for clean. Obviously overkill for most, but you could invest in a nice sounding clean amp? Or even just a small power amp, isp do one, or the old rackmount Marshall valvestate ones sound nice enough. Run the Amt into one of those perhaps.

Defeats any space saving on design though... :/
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17619
    tFB Trader
    One of you guys is going to have to bite the bullet and buy a Stonehead. 
  • One of you guys is going to have to bite the bullet and buy a Stonehead. 
    Yeah...that was going to be me in January, actually, but I've had a major financial setback recently which has kinda put the mockers on any gear purchases for the foreseeable future :(
    <space for hire>
    Do you need midi? If so, it's a slightly limiting factor... But it can be so useful.

I can think of a couple of 3 channel, midi amps. Laney tt100, maybe? The problem is, they won't sound like a 5150. Not even close. Nice in their own right, though. I think Engl have some, but they might be many many pounds.

Have you considered a separate amp just for cleans? I know Tremonti uses a two rock, two triple recs and a Bognor uberschall for drive, but always 2 fender twins in stereo for clean. Obviously overkill for most, but you could invest in a nice sounding clean amp? Or even just a small power amp, isp do one, or the old rackmount Marshall valvestate ones sound nice enough. Run the Amt into one of those perhaps.

Defeats any space saving on design though... :/
    Aye I do have a clean amp I could use, a small little combo thing I borrowed off a friend. I don't need midi to be honest, totally given up on all that switching bollocks. I just want good clean, mid-gain tone, and high-gain metal tone. Might go back to my Marshall, will have to see.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17619
    tFB Trader
    One of you guys is going to have to bite the bullet and buy a Stonehead. 
    Yeah...that was going to be me in January, actually, but I've had a major financial setback recently which has kinda put the mockers on any gear purchases for the foreseeable future :(
    Sorry to hear that fella, that sucks. 

I'm almost tempted to buy one because I love well made solid state amps, but I'm the least brootalz player so a 4 channel gain monster is somewhat wasted on me.
  • Sorry to hear that fella, that sucks. 

I'm almost tempted to buy one because I love well made solid state amps, but I'm the least brootalz player so a 4 channel gain monster is somewhat wasted on me.
    Meh, from what I've heard they don't really have any more gain than my Jet City, and plenty of non-br00tz players use those :)
    <space for hire>
  • Great stuff - sounds like you're pretty happy with it. Reckon it'll stick around?
    <space for hire>
    I'm still not sure. It *is* a great pedal, and a really good solution for this particular amp. Weighing up the pros and cons of it all in my head today.