Trilogy VTi HiFi

Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
One of these: http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?67843-VTI-Trilogy

LH channel quiet and distorted. 10 years since I changed the EL34s so got new ones. LH channel is now dead (RH channel sounds excellent). There's a yellow LED next to each valve. 3 of them glow consistently, one of them flickers in rather a dull manner. There is probably something else wrong other than just an old valve.

Trilogy website contains only passing reference to the VTi, the company I got it from (Walrus) who had their own service dept appears to be defunct.

The amplifier appears to have a microprocessor inside it, but how much this monitors or controls the valve behaviour I have no idea.

Willing to pay the going rate for a repair, can transport in original manufacturer's packaging.

Can anyone help? @ICBM @ECC83
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bump

does anyone know of anyone in east anglia who might fix this?

@ecc83?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    @Phil_aka_Pip, not sure if this is what you are looking for but having gone through a pile of hi-fi magazines, the only reference to Trilogy I found was for a phono stage.

Distributor: Symmetry, 01727 865488, www.symmetry-systems.co.uk

Manufacturer: Trilogy Audio, www.trilogyaudio.com

If my memory serves me right, I think that the microprocessor is used to set the valve bios automatically, no matter what valves are used.  I read of some amplifier that used this method, it may or may not be Symmetry.

Should be fairly easy to bypass a duff chip, if one can not be sourced, and wire it up conventionally.  

Good luck with your searches.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited January 2016
    @Rocker fanx mate. I have tried contacting Trilogy but have had no response.

I've just tried asking symmetry if they know who can fix it.

EDIT I got a response from Nigel at Symmetry who tells me he has contacted Nic Poulson ! Wow.
  • Today I received an email from Nic Poulson (head honcho at Trilogy), in response to the enquiry I made some time ago. The content of his email suggests he may be able to help. That makes me feel a lot better :)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    Great news my friend. Keep us updated on developments....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I have finally caught up with Nic Poulson on the telephone. The VTi is to be desptached to him today, in its original packaging, I hope he will take a look at it, fix it and return it before I leave this employment (but if not, I have a couple of weeks to pop in to the company and retrieve it).

Nic comes across on the phone as a nice guy. I get that he has other business interests, but tbh he IS the designer of the VTi, nobody else knows how to service it let alone how it works (there's no cct diagrams on the interweb nor any spec of what the microprocessor does), so if I want it fixed it has to be HIM that fixes it.

I'll be dead chuffed if he does get it sorted: when I start my new job I'll be renting a cheap place before I sell my house and buy another one, and the VTi is such a good general purpose amplifier (it does early baroque music just as well as it does hard rock) that it would be nice to be able to take it with me to my cheap rental place. Other stuff can stay at my house or go to storage and join me later.