Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

cheap fx pedals that are actually good thread

What's Hot
CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 887
Interested if instead of getting these mostly expensive pedals. If any of the cheaper or lesser known pedals are worthwhile.

What are your favourite under £50 pedals and what's a good cheap comp.

Also after a cheap pedal that gives me a reverse effect like don't stop by the stone roses. Like how did they play that live at Heaton Park ?

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7179
    My favourite is the Caline Orange Burst drive pedal. Think it was under £20 new.
  • Bargain. I had a caline delay that was pretty good.

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Digitech Digidelay, like a Boss DD, but cheaper. OK, it's a cheaper version of the Boss, but if you just need a delay, and don't need tap-tempo (It does have Tap tempo, but it's a sod to get to).

Actually, I quite like the Digitech pedals in general. I have a Hothead, which is like a cheaper DS-1, but with treble and bass controls, rather than a mids.

Also, the Metal Master (not everyone's cup of tea....), does the And Justice For All rhythm sound very well.

My favourite though, is the Boss SD-1, which is my "go anywhere, use any amp" lead boost of choice.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1269
    Absolutely anything in the Danelectro Cool Cat range. 

I've got the overdrive, transparent overdrive, fuzz, distortion, and vibe pedal and, while there are issues with form factor and reliability (my transparent O/ D died) they all stand comparison with stuff many times more expensive in terms of how they sound.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • BGGBGG Frets: 690
    Arion SCH-Z chorus, £29.
    #thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    edited January 2016
    I have an Akai custom shop analogue delay I think is awesome. £25 used and of course my SD-1 which is quite tasty
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    I'm a big fan of the Belcat Analog Delay at £20 - technically digital but the repeats are really warm and it does the Carbon Copy-type EP preamp thing
    Stop crying, start buying
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Bought the super cheap one knob Behringer phasers ages ago on a whim as it was on offer for a tenner.  Loved it to bits, still on my board now albeit rehoused in a more solid box.  Honestly, into the front of an overdriven amp it's one of my favourite phasers ever.

Bad Monkey is a no brainer, particularly if you lift one end of one of the caps inside and put it on a switch which gives it a rather nice more open sounding mode.

Joyo Ultimate Drive is another favourite, bought one as a backup for the OCD I was using years ago and ended up using the Joyo rather than the Fulltone most of the time.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5189
    Palmer solid metal :)
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Boss Sd1 second hand, a couple of cap replacements and a few diodes and it's a Fulltone fulldrive.

MXR phase 90 with the stinkfoot mods and a slide switch for univibe, becomes a really versatile pedal.

Danelectro Tuna Melt - a great range of tremolo sounds.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12685
    Nobels OD
    The giant killer pedal!

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2587
    mike_l said:

Digitech Digidelay, like a Boss DD, but cheaper. OK, it's a cheaper version of the Boss, but if you just need a delay, and don't need tap-tempo (It does have Tap tempo, but it's a sod to get to).

Agree. My fave delay pedal and only £40 new.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6121
    Danelectro FAB Metal pedal can found for 15.00 and is a lot more flexible than its name implies.

Cheap compressor? Biyang Baby Boom Comp is an mxr clone that is quieter and smoother than the pedal it copies. Great value.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7860
    I thought the Joyo Tremolo was very good for the money.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I'm always on the same page as @mike_l as far as the Digidelay and SD1 go.

Boss DS1

Bad Monkey

Screamin Blues

Joyo DR J compressor is my fave. Not too in your face squishy and one of the few comps with a mix knob.

Behringer VD (ooer) Boss delay clone. True bucker brigade analogue goodness.
  • Lots here I have not tried. Thank you.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2381
    pretty much what's been mentioned- sd1 is awesome (though having another buffered pedal to put in front helps if you get bleed in bypass), digidelay is good (i haven't tried the digiverb, it might be good too), the bad monkey, screamin blues and hot head too.

bunch of the electro harmonixes sound good, though there have been a lot of reliability complaints.

if you're a wee bit easier on the price point ("around £50" rather than "under £50") then things like the digitech/hardwire dirt pedals are good, the nobels mentioned in the thread, etc.

some of the joyos, mooers etc. can sound pretty good, too.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72730
    Most Boss pedals are £50 or less second hand, and are all good. Some are great.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Caline blue ocean for  £17 deep blue delay clone.

Mooer black secret is my favourite rat clone, I prefer it to the current production rats.

Behringer eh... every behringer I've had has had noise issues. 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 617
    Boss SD1 is a cracker. With regards to a cheap Comp, the Biyang Compress X is a clone of the MXR Dyna Comp which is not only cheaper but has much less noise than the original. The Mooer Yellow Comp isn't bad either but is more transparent than the Dyna style comps.