Techniques for rhythm guitar

What's Hot
I've never been that bothered by lead guitar playing.  I'm the rhythm guitarist in my band and leave all the solos to our other guitarist.

I've never had any guitar tuition so I'm not good with technical knowledge.  Are there any particular techniques or practice routines that are good for just really nailing down rhythm playing?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Palm mutes, fret hand mutes and pinch harmonics
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • And alternate picking
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16304
    edited January 2016
    Any particular style? I'd cheerfully recommend the Ross Bolton tutorials on YouTube. Very dated looking and quite dull really yet he breaks down the 16th note strumming. A lot you can apply to blues, reggae, pop, etc, and understanding how to mix in muted strums to create rhythms and develop a more relaxed and fluid rhythm style.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    edited January 2016
    Thanks for the suggestions.

The band play the usual rock/blues pub covers.  Just me playing is usually, at the moment, a combination of AC/DC riffs (and the more basic fills/solos) and then old drop D emo/metal riffs.
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    edited January 2016
    why not start by learning some chic/nile rogers tunes?  good for the 16th note strumming, and then go from there.  plenty of tutorials on the net - eric blackmon on you tube isn't bad - it goes through it a bit slowly but good and covers a number of songs 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16304
    Keith Wyatt is a well thought of in terms of getting things across clearly and there's lots of stuff on YouTube, might be worth looking at his stuff on blues rythmn. Being able to get the feel of a shuffle ( or even a bit of swing) right seems beyond a lot of people and makes a big difference on blues and blues rock like ACDC.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Thanks for all the suggestions.  That's my Sunday afternoon sorted!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    edited February 2016
    Check out some Chic...

oh and Doobie Bros - China Grove/Long Train Running/Listen to the Music...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • xtedmanziextedmanzie Frets: 48
    edited February 2016
    Brad Carlton on Truefire has lots of rhythm guitar courses. Cheap and I think he's a very good video instructor - I bought these two (links below). I was particularly interested in funk (but these aren't just about funk) and he is one of the few instructors who gets into the proper techniques rather than just wacking out the old cliche's.

https://truefire.com/techniques-guitar-lessons/rhythmic-grooves-techniques/c236

Fretboard trader feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/65502/
    Basschat trader feedback: http://tinyurl.com/8yevyl6
    Wishbone Ash is a good shout. I like quite a few of their songs.

Have been generally watching Justin's videos. They are pretty good and cover a nice range of techniques/exercises.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    edited February 2016
    +1 for Nile rogers, but if you playing mostly Rock then you cannot go wrong with Hendrix, particularly when mixes the riffs and chords on the stuff like Castles Made of Sand, Little Wing etc.

For example :

Also for Blues stuff try using sliding ninth chords to add a bit of colour.