Powering Strymon with Voodoo lab PP2

GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
I've recently picked up a Strymon Flint, but I'm struggling with powering it. The power lead that it comes with works fine, but when I try to power it from my VL PP2, the lights constantly click on and off in a not very happy way. Tried it a couple of times, but it only seems to like the original power lead. 

I've looked on the Strymon site, and as far as I can tell I should be able to power it with my unit - http://www.strymon.net/gear-guide-getting-right-power-supply-strymon-pedal/

I've checked the power unit, and all of the switches underneath are on the normal mode, and I'm using one of the standard 9v outputs. I'm not particularly good with reading power guides I must admit...

Has anyone else had success powering any of the smaller strymon pedals with the PP2? What am I doing wrong? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11480
    What output are you using?  The Flint needs 250mA.  The only outputs on the PP2 that can deliver 250mA are outputs 5 and 6 which are rated at 250mA.  The others are rated at 100mA.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1967
    edited January 2016
    I found that I needed to use one of the special cables that came with the PP2 - it allows you to parallel up a couple of outputs to give you the required current capacity. I power a Mobius with mine so it definitely works.
    I think I paralleled up outputs 5 and 6 to give 500mA capacity, the Mobius requires 350mA or so.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11480
    To be honest the PP2 is an outdated design. It was fine when it came out, but you didn't have all the big digital pedals like the Strymons, Line 6 M5 and various others that are around now.  They need to upgrade it to have more current available.

I know you already have one, so you need to make the best of what you have, but for anyone buying new I'd advise getting something with more capacity.  I use a Decibel 11 Hot Stone Deluxe which has 2 x 400mA outputs plus a couple more 200mA outputs.

There are others as well.  The Cioks stuff is good, and there is a new Visual Sound Isolated supply that looks good as well.

The new Strymon one that has just been announced looks very good as well, but might be overkill for most people.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7588
    GazLion said:
    I've recently picked up a Strymon Flint, but I'm struggling with powering it. The power lead that it comes with works fine, but when I try to power it from my VL PP2, the lights constantly click on and off in a not very happy way. Tried it a couple of times, but it only seems to like the original power lead. 

I've looked on the Strymon site, and as far as I can tell I should be able to power it with my unit - http://www.strymon.net/gear-guide-getting-right-power-supply-strymon-pedal/

I've checked the power unit, and all of the switches underneath are on the normal mode, and I'm using one of the standard 9v outputs. I'm not particularly good with reading power guides I must admit...

Has anyone else had success powering any of the smaller strymon pedals with the PP2? What am I doing wrong? 

Use Outputs 5 and 6 and set the DIP switches for them to 'on'
    Red ones are better. 
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    Thanks guys that will be it as I've got it plugged into number 1! Doh!