In other news - pension changes?

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28977
    I'd rather be rich and ill than poor and ill.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    If you can afford it property is a much better idea and it's the angle I'm going for to give me some cash in my old age.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdog said:
    If you can afford it property is a much better idea and it's the angle I'm going for to give me some cash in my old age.
    Seriously no offence but I'm not into BTL or anything like that. 
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited January 2016
    underdog said:

I am not actually sure about that. Despite the carnage of the past couple of weeks, I am still up more than 10% this year. In December it was over 18%. That is also tax free. Long term you should be able to get returns of 10% or higher with shares and if you can do that tax free, I don't see how property can really compare to that.

I also have moral issues with BTL which with make me think twice about it...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9723
    edited January 2016
    mellowsun said:
    I lost 20 grand this week from my pension pot thanks to the stock market crashing.

No you didn't. Money only exists when you use it to buy something. It's all a con.

You're never too young to start doing stuff like this. My pensions are all over the place. I worked for one company for 5 years and ended up with money in 3 different schemes, mainly due to the incompetence and greed of men in suits who like gambling. My job (and pension) are much stabler now, but I still can't see me able to stop working until I'm 67.

My parents' generation, the post-War Baby Boomers, got lucky.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    thomasross20;949752" said:
    underdog said:

Seriously no offence but I'm not into BTL or anything like that. 
    That's fine, but it's a way to make decent, consistent money and have a lump sum at the end if you decide to sell up.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    @chillydoggy unless you're convinced you're not healthy enough to achieve a long retirement

True, but I didn't find that out until it was too late.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited January 2016
    The problem I have with pensions, apart from not being able to afford to put any more aside is the tangibility of them.  I mean, if I laid £20k into 1333 barrels of oil at $20 a barrel, I wouldn't of sold when it went up to $30 dollars a barrel and cleared £10k minus costs and tax.  I'd be like, where's my oil?  I paid for £20k's worth of oil, where's my god damn oil?
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    Well that is why you should mix I guess. Assuming you own your own house, keep some in shares, some in bonds, and some in cash accounts, adjusting the mix depending on how close you are to retirement, and how you feel about "intangible" shares. And that is one of the best thing about share, besides good returns, they are much more liquid than property and it is much easier to balance the risk geographically.

• vizviz Frets: 10759
    Sambostar said:
    The problem I have with pensions, apart from not being able to afford to put any more aside is the tangibility of them.  I mean, if I laid £20k into 1333 barrels of oil at $20 a barrel, I wouldn't of sold when it went up to $30 dollars a barrel and cleared £10k minus costs and tax.  I'd be like, where's my oil?  I paid for £20k's worth of oil, where's my god damn oil?

Actually you would have somehow bought 26660's worth of oil. Not sure how you did that with only 20k, but it was a very good bargain!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7349
    I contracted outa SERPS in 88 into a private pen and never got to add any further payments.
    BUT it will now be worth releasing as a cash lump under new changes and will buy me about £15k's worth of guitar gear!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    57Deluxe said:
    I contracted outa SERPS i
    I did that when I first got a company pension (late 90s) and I've completely forgotten what it meant.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3597
    State Earnings Related Pension.

In the bad old days your state pension would be more if you had earned more and therefore paid more in. The option to have these 'extra' contributions hived off to your personal pension was called contracting out. Smart move as future pensions will be flat rate for everyone. Not so smart if they decide to nick back the benefit of SERPS and reduce your flat rate payment.

I think the lesson for anyone in employment is, don't rely on a state pension in any shape or form.

If you get to retirement and it is there, great, bonus. Otherwise though, make sure you can live without it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Snap said:
    Theres some further dropping to be done yet IMO. MIght be a good time to buy some gold, though I haven't looked at the price.

I did the gold thing about 10 years back. Bought gold when it was 300 quid per ounce (pound was around 2:1 to the dollar then) from 2006 to 2009 and sold it at 1200 quid per ounce, although the pound was quite weak at that point. Paid off a good chunk of the mortgage!

Agree there could be some upside, sterling-wise, in gold right now. Currently around 800 quid per ounce.  
    I paid for my guitar with profit from gold. Still hold a little, but never had much at any point.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited January 2016
    quarky said:
    I think the lesson for anyone in employment is, don't rely on a state pension in any shape or form.

If you get to retirement and it is there, great, bonus. Otherwise though, make sure you can live without it.

I think this is it.  It does occur to me that the underpaid and under appreciated in society who can't afford a pension should have something though and this earnings related thing pulls at my leftist sides a bit too.  I mean, people who have made their life getting rid of high earners shyte for bottom dollar, because they are such cheapskates and such is competition, they won't pay anymore, or have served high earners all their lives need a cut of the end kitty.  It's not far to say, well they earned less, therefore they deserve nothing, it's all part and parcel of society, so a reasonable cut should be given to them.

Or perhaps we should have a more Americanised system, where the self employed really do charge.  But then, the high earners would probably just employ Mexican labour and then once the job is done and their pensions are under threat, go all out illegal immigration crackdown on them.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I agree. Those who can look after themselves should get a much smaller state pension, just like child benefit. They should still get something if they paid in, but means testing seems pretty fair with pensions. Not a vote winner though.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited January 2016
    Woops, I wowed your post by mistake, sambostar. Sorry about that
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom