Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Distortion pedals - suggestions?

What's Hot

Comments

• Let me add to the chorus of RAT fans.

Also the Emma Reezafratzitz is cool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1280

Gunshot is very versatile. If you can't get it to sound great you're doing something wrong.

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Wampler Pinnacle ticks everything on your list.  
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Try a Bogner Blue.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17645
    tFB Trader
    Drew_fx said:
    Try a Bogner Blue.
    Having had both I thought the Bogner Red was much better and would be a very good choice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72471
    Boss DF-2

If you can't find one easily and/or don't want to pay that much, DS-1. 95% as good and it is a classic for a reason.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The DS-1 is an awful pedal.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30295
    Rat although my Way Huge Fat Sandwich has replaced it on my board. Even more versatile than the Rat although it doesn't do the overdrive thing that the Rat can do so maybe not as versatile as I think but for distortion it's bloody great.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drew_fx said:
    Try a Bogner Blue.
    Having had both I thought the Bogner Red was much better and would be a very good choice.
    Mainly suggested the Blue coz he said he didn't want uber high-gain. But the Red could be a good option too.
  • Just commenting on a couple that have been mentioned. Not disagreeing with anything because it's all down to personal taste and there's no right or wrong in this.

I have a Fulltone OCD v4. It sounds great in isolation but I find it mid scooped. As I mentioned on another thread, I found in a band, where the bottom end gets masked by other instruments, it sounded thin to me. But I accept that is probably depends on the band set up and the sound of the other instruments. Also, I like some compression in the sound for those Satriani/EVH style legato licks. The OCD is quite open, which I know others would see as a very positive thing.

It all depends on how open a sound you want vs a compressed sound plus how much you want in the middle frequencies.

When I recently compared a load of distortion pedals at Andertons, I went in thinking I was going to buy a Wampler Pinnacle, but that was actually too compressed and I was a bit worried about the high end bite, which might sound thin in a band.  But it was the closest to my idea of an EVH sound which I can see working when you've only got one guitar, bass and drums.

I wished I've tried a Crunchbox to compare, but the Angry Charlie had the right amount of drive, mids and compression to suit me.

Some some things to bear in mind as a checklist, because everyone will have different tastes
    How much drive/distortion - obviously
    How much openness vs compression
    How much do you want in the mids. Imagine what the pedal might sound like in your band and how it would sound it you removed the lower bottom end (which tends to gets masked in a bigger band and high pass filtered in the studio).

Pete
    It's not a competition.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    meltedbuzzbox;945567" said:
    The DS-1 is an awful pedal.
    I've not much joy with these either but they have been in production for aeons so must work for a lot of folk.
    That pedal show did an interesting video where they compared various overdrives through different amps, the effect was huge in some cases, Muffs And TS sounded great on some amps and awful through others etc
    I always associate DS1s with my youth with valvestates and peavy combos
  • it was a bit of a snap comment. 
    I am sure anything can work to make a good sound but the DS-1 tends to have a horrible habit of sounding like a box of wasps. 
    (might be a newer reissue thing)

I seem to recall on that pedal show that Dan did mention it was a borrowed DS-1 and it was special (might be a load of mojo...)

But in todays market there is just so much choice out there that the DS-1 has to be down the bottom of the list

saying all that The DS-2 seemed to be a nicer pedal from what I recall. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24423
    Boss DS-1X. The X is important.
    Zoom Hyper lead.
    Fulltone OCD
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72471
    The DS-1 is an awful pedal.
    In the biblical meaning of the word, yes.

:)

It's *very* fussy how you set the tone control though, and it doesn't work with all amps. I'd still pick it over most modern boutique distortions I've tried though - most recently a ZVex Distortron, which I had heard great things about by never tried. I'd take the DS-1 over it any day.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Ooh yeah the ds1x is great and sounds very little like the stock ds1
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7482
    hugbot said:
    Ooh yeah the ds1x is great and sounds very little like the stock ds1
    Indeed - 2nd half of this is pretty good 

Red ones are better. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I'm currently enjoying very much a Boss DS-1 and a Boss DS-1 going into a dirty Marshall. Cos I is a gain slut.

Really not very fond of the DS-1's into a clean amp, but into a dirty amp, yes please.

The Vox Satchurator is voiced similarly to the DS-1. I think it's a modded version thereof........

I also enjoy MXR dirts into a dirty Marshall, the Distortion3 and GT-OD are currently favs....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Suhr Riot ( not Reloaded)
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Buffalo Evolution. It's like a Rat, but better!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Nothing Xotic tickle your doodah ?

TRex Mudhoney, Alberta or my particular choice the Moller.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback